Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 3rd Gen (2011) V is approaching 100,000 miles now and so far so good (only do regular oil and fluid changes, battery, brake pads, tires, etc). Just wondering if any 3rd gen owners out there can comment on common problems and possible "preventive repairs" that need to be done for this 3rd Gen CRV (considering that it's approaching 100,000 miles, etc)? Thanks!

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,662 Posts
First, I would re-post this in the Gen 3 Section for best results. Second, I highly recommend you do your own homework. Go through the Gen 3 Section and read through all the interesting posts. Run searches for specific questions, etc. There are tons of threads on everything you could need or want to know. There's no shortcut to learning what's best for your car.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
12,168 Posts
First, I would re-post this in the Gen 3 Section for best results.
MOVED. :) Feel free to REPORT any Topic that you feel would be best served in a Generation-specific sub-forum.

The services that usually come up around 100,000 miles (10 years) are:

• Spark Plugs
  • Valve lash (as noted)
  • coolant drain & fill

Other periodic fluid changes are

• Brake Fluid (3 years)
  • Honda DW-1 ATF (30K miles)
  • Honda Dual Pump II differential fluid (30K miles)

Otherwise just watch out for symptoms (IE, any noise or squeak that occurs more than three times deserves investigation, IMO)

·
Premium Member
2,694 Posts
@Carbuff2 covered the maintenance. Keep up on it and you're good to go.

I have two 2009s and have had common problems with both of them, usually around similar mileage. I estimate they were built six or seven weeks apart. Here's my list:

If it complains about the fuel cap, it's the purge control valve that is bad. Replaced both of ours.

Struts will start getting noisy in about 20k miles. And the left rear strut may even leak. Replace all four. Use KYB. Learned the hard way how bad Monroe's hardware is. A year later and they're noisy again.

Starter In one of ours went bad about a year ago, and mine was cranking slower as the months passed, so, two new starters.

The A/C compressor clutch will fail at some point. Both of ours failed within nine months of each other. Had the dealers replace the entire compressor and leak check the systems. All good now.

At 150k miles, we're both starting to have exhaust system issues. Saving up for two complete cat-back systems, genuine Honda since the aftermarket systems are crap.

Watch the rear disc brakes for binding. In my case, both had hardware sets that were corroding, and one of them had a split caliper pin boot. Spend the ~$10 for a new set of the stainless hardware, inspect the boots, and lube the caliper pins with the best brake grease you can find.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone! For preventive measure would you recommend to just replace purge control valve and starter in the near future, or should I just wait until they are really giving me issues then replace them? Also when it's complaining for about the fuel cap, does it throw out some kind of error codes? Thanks!

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
12,168 Posts
The check fuel cap message will appear, but there is a P-code you can obtain that will aid in troubleshooting. Car is still drive-able when that issue occurs.

·
Premium Member
2,694 Posts
Thanks everyone! For preventive measure would you recommend to just replace purge control valve and starter in the near future, or should I just wait until they are really giving me issues then replace them? Also when it's complaining for about the fuel cap, does it throw out some kind of error codes? Thanks!
The starter will let you know when it's time to replace it. If you live in a colder climate, you have a fully charged fresh battery and the starter is grinding slowly, that could be a sign (as it was with mine). I noticed it more because we have two '09s and the other '09 always cranked faster since we bought it.

But our other starter would simply not work at all--I could park it for an hour, go to start it and it might turn over once and stop cranking or not crank at all. And maybe 15 seconds later, it would start right up. (That should have been my sign to replace it, but, it happened infrequently until it didn't...and left it stranded on a cold day in February.)

If you get the "Check Fuel Cap" message, that means the purge valve is probably on its way out. It often means the cap is not tightened enough but if that's the case, it would go away after the cap was checked and tightened (three clicks). For me, that message was appearing every time ran the car, and every week or two it would set the MIL and give me an error code about the evap system. (I wish I had kept track of which P-code it was.) When that message occurred intermittently in our other '09, I replaced the same part and the message has gone away. I would just wait until the message appears. It is possible the part has already been replaced, as old as these third gens are now.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,662 Posts
I highly recommend the purchase of a Honda factory service manual. I got mine off eBay, here's a link:

2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 Honda CR-V Shop Service Repair Manual CD | eBay

This is the same one I got, from the same seller. Great investment. It's over 3,200 pages. Comes on disc, in pdf form, installs on your computer. Mine has easily paid for itself multiple times.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Wow, love this thread....Great to know about starter, struts and brakes.

We have 101K on our 2010 - I just posted my woes about high oil consumption, so that's something to took out for!

Also, my check Fuel Cap shows up periodically, will replace purge valve this summer when warmer out.

We have an annoying machine gun noise when allow the climate control to switch from recirc to vent, Honda says new blower assembly and box, that's 700 bux I am not spending. Someone said to try and replace just a recirc motor on here, I will try that this summer as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm new here with a recetnly acquired '07 with 210K miles. It's nice to know this there is no sticky here with common problems and things you have to address asap. It looks like these vehicles are worth the resale value. I'm going to check rear brakes asap and good to know about gas cap issue.

·
Premium Member
2,694 Posts
No worries about the "gas cap" issue--it's just a purge valve (it dumps excess fuel vapor out of the evaporative system), and the only thing is does that you'd notice is illuminate the warning message. It's not going to leave you stranded, in other words. My '09 had that error message when I bought it, and our other '09 got the message at a later point.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,662 Posts
My '07 has 93k on it and I got it inspected yesterday and got the new tags/sticker. Interestingly, it seems they have stopped emissions testing in Texas! Used to take a half hour. Fee is lowered by ten bucks too. They still pressure tested the gas cap, though. No issues.

·
Registered
106 Posts
For 3rd gen owners do you have a low pitch warble. I tried rotating my tires and the noise does not change. The rear differential oil was changed and no change in noise. Is this typical for this generation crv or all generations?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts