Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking for a thread to possibly get some ideas and got tired of looking for it so Ill post my own and I'm sorry if it's a previously asked topic.

I am looking to replace the OEM 6 CD stereo on my 07 EX-L and wanted to get some options and possible pictures of your Double din / Navi systems and model names. I wanted to get the OEM navi but heard there are better options out there for less. I wanted something nice and equipped with back up camera, bluetooth, navi etc. I have seen the Rosen DS-HD0710 and looks nice and OEM but at a $50-$70 ebay price, I am not too convinced it's a durable option. I wanted it to look as OEM as possible but also it be a well known brand (Kenwood, Alpine, Blaupunkt etc)

All suggestions and pictures will be appreciated.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My experience with "well known brands" sure wouldn't be my choice. Guess it depends on what you want, expect and will accept. There are loads of Chinese made radio/navi units that are simple the best and most advanced available. The companies that are making these radios are also making the OEM radios for the car companies! Mercedes, BMW and about every know make. The Chinese are without doubt the most advanced makers in the world. Shenzhen China is, arguably, the world electronics capitol. They don't just make the radios but major portions of the entire dash. The pic is of your model CRVB 07-11 with 10.2" Radio/Navigation installed.
It looks more "Original" than the OEM did! Includes navigation program that can be updated free and runs any about app in the play store.....For less than $235 delivered.

2009.jpg

·
1,958 Posts
First, you'd want to know that, while Nave was an option on your '07 (and mine), Bluetooth was not. It became available in either '08 or '09. I looked into the upgrade, as you can pickup a guaranteed used or refurb OE unit on eBay for a decent price. But the problem that comes up next is what parts of the wiring harness would have to be added. So, to truly make such a transplant work and know you'd have all you need, you would need to find an '07 in a wrecking yard with everything intact and make a deal to remove what you need yourself. You would need whatever additional harness parts, plus the OE GPS and backup camera units. and you would not have Bluetooth, unless you went with a later model unit.

I disagree with jtoxx. After extensive research into the possibilities, I would not choose one of the units like the one he shows above, unless you are willing to roll the dice on it. I have read a lot of reviews with complaints about quality control and reliability of the unit as well as the software, and the mediocre sound performance, of most all of this type unit. In fairness I have also read some where the owners are happy with them. As far as brand names, I will personally stick with Kenwood only, as Pioneer has recently gone downhill in terms of reliability and longevity, and to me Alpine is just overpriced for what you get. I wish Nakamichi was still in the race, their stuff was the best.

That said, ALL car audio is made in China, no exceptions. It's been that way for many years now. But the Chinese are the manufacturers. They are not the designers or engineers - we are, we being the tech sector, mostly in America, with a few other locations thrown into the mix. In fact, I live smack in the middle (in Austin, Texas) of one of the highest tech centers on the planet. Here, along with the Silicon Valley in California, is where all that comes from. The think tanks are here. We design and build the processors, the chips, the circuits, and the software, and we own and operate, supervise, or otherwise run or contract to most of the Chinese manufacturing that produces the hardware. In fact, here in Austin lives Applied Materials, which makes all the chip-making equipment in the world. Also here are Intel, AMD, Dell, IBM, Apple, and a large Samsung presence, plus a huge software sector, including most of the gaming software companies.

I have looked at the unit shown above, and it is a nice one if it's the one I think it is, though he does not tell us specifically what unit it is. There are a bunch of these out there, on Amazon, eBay, and through various other sources such as Alibaba. But I've only known a couple of people who own them, and they did complain about some functions not working. So let the buyer beware.

The well-known brands, however, are available from many sources, locally and online, and have specific warranties and support, meaning you can exchange or get your money back if it doesn't work. That generic Chinese unit above has a very nice, though not high-resolution 10-inch screen. The top Kenwood and other brand name units have only 7-inch screens, but they are high resolution. Also, there are some known issues with some units. And they are much more expensive in most cases. But they also do definitely have better audio components, where the generic units above do not.

Now, if Kenwood made a unit with a 10.2" high-rez screen, for a reasonable price, the choice would be easy. But, like other things in life, apparently you just can't have everything. Not in one unit, anyway. There are a lot of things to consider - features, sound, software, compatibility, fit, price, quality/reliability/warranty, support, glitches, etc. In the end if you want to make the choice that is best for you, you are just going to0 have to do your due diligence on the research. Good luck with it and let us know how it all turns out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts