Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all!
I need help!!! Have an 07 CRV, 2nd owner. 130k miles. Regularly serviced. Starts right up, idles fine. When you hit the gas, it runs really rough then stalls. It is throwing the 83-1 ECM/PCM code. Computer has been replaced, and reprogrammed. Still having the same problem. Any ideas?? Thanks in advance!!!

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,398 Posts
I just Googled the code and it seems that an ABS issue can cause this code. :glare:

Code 83-1 set in the ABS system means that the ABS system has been disabled due to an engine related system failure. In this case Code P2101 being set in the Engine computer (PCM) relating to the electronic throttle actuator has disabled the ABS system and set a code 83-1 to inform you of that.

They need to dig deeper...

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the same issue. It's not throwing a light up in my dash buy when I use the Foxwell NT510 it gives me a permanent DTD of 83-01.

I assume the visa modual has to be changed ?

'08 CRv. 2.5L

·
Registered
2007 CRV
480 Posts
DTC 83-1 says "No VSP Signal", DTC 83-1 also says " PCM Com Error"
The manual says to erase the DTC and then drive vehicle for 7 to 10 miles
While checking the TPMS data list for proper vehicle speed on a scanner
If correct speed then system is okay at this time.
If not then it goes into how to troubleshoot the Can Bus lines
Check for continuity, shorts to ground or hot, opens
Can L TPMS control unit terminal pin 11 to PCM A pin 37
(also to Gauge control module B pin 33)
Can H TPMS control unit terminal pin 1 to PCM A pin 36
(also to Gauge control module B pin 34)

Do not know the accuracy of this information
But, in second post of this thread by Carbuff2, it could also have a cause in the PCM
Please keep us informed of your progress
Thanks

Note: I have looked for the location of the TPMS control unit
Manual says behind dashboard center lower cover (IDK)
And be careful not to bend mounting bracket as
it may interfere with the sending and receiving of signals

·
Registered
4 Posts
I thought the TPMS unit was the box the the brake lines go into on the passenger side in front of the firewall.

I tried to erase and reset PCM with the Foxwell scan tool. The code still pops up. Giving me a 83-1 code. PCM communication error. This can also set of the other VSM error code I read.

I'm going to search for the possible shorts as was stated before I start changing out parts. Thx for the info.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,398 Posts
I thought the TPMS unit was the box the the brake lines go into on the passenger side in front of the firewall.
Me too. The modulator has a pump and electronics, only available as a unit from Honda. (Retail price, $2650 - $2350!!! :eek:) The electronic bit can be separated on some cars, and possibly repaired from a third-party repair company.

I see used modulator units on Fleabay for $15 - $200.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Definately not a cheap fix. I would try a wreckers as well but I guess your not insured weather it's in operational condition. But I would roll.that dice before buying new.

·
Registered
2007 CRV
480 Posts

I tried to erase and reset PCM with the Foxwell scan tool. The code still pops up. Giving me a 83-1 code. PCM communication error. This can also set of the other VSM error code I read.

I'm going to search for the possible shorts as was stated before I start changing out parts. Thx for the info.
That I believe is the brake modulation unit.
It is used by the ABS system and the VSA system via CAN bus.
The TPMS control unit is electronic and has no brakes lines going to it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts