Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, so I got new michelin tires from costco and opted to get new tpms sensors as the tech indicated they can fail do to a tire change. So I said go ahead and put new ones in because I figured if I declined them they'd make sure they failed anyway. Regardless, I had intermitant problems from the start. The low pressure light comes on after a couple of days. I check the pressure and it's fine. Took it back they said the pressure was low and they filled the tire and the light is out. 3 weeks later the light comes on again. I check pressure and it's fine. Before I take it back a few days later the light goes out on its own. This has repeated itself several times over the past 6 months. Now the light is on again and it's not going out and the pressure is fine. Am I correct that this must be a sensor problem and not a system problem since the "TPMS" light is not on. Only the "tire!" light comes on. Please enlighten me so I can determine if costco needs to replace a sensor. Thanks

·
Registered
868 Posts
I would say that you're correct. Have heard of many problems with non-Honda sensors. Maybe it's a compatibility issue. Signal to computer.
Will be difficult to determine which sensor.

Good luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would say that you're correct. Have heard of many problems with non-Honda sensors. Maybe it's a compatibility issue. Signal to computer.
Will be difficult to determine which sensor.

Good luck.
Thanks for the response. I will hold them responsible since they were the ones who solicited new sensors.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Issue Solved

Unbeknownst to me, I was extremely surprised to learn that the skinny little temp spares have a sensor! I checked it and found the pressure at 45 psi and read the documentation and the sidewall on the spare and it says to inflate to 60 psi (not max pressure 60 psi). Anyway, I inflated to 60 psi, started the car and the light is now out and hasn't come back on. So if you didn't know, check those donut spares just in case.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Wrong, wrong, wrong. TPMS sensors do not operate until they are 'awakened' by wheel rotation. The spare wheel has no TPMS sensor. If for some strange reason yours does, it has no effect at all on your vehicle's computer.

If you think your problems are solved, raising the spare's pressure is not the cause. Sorry.

I assume that you tire dealer has correctly updated your computer with the new sensor's address codes. Has he?

Keep us informed.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Wrong, wrong, wrong. TPMS sensors do not operate until they are 'awakened' by wheel rotation. The spare wheel has no TPMS sensor. If for some strange reason yours does, it has no effect at all on your vehicle's computer.

If you think your problems are solved, raising the spare's pressure is not the cause. Sorry.

I assume that you tire dealer has correctly updated your computer with the new sensor's address codes. Has he?

Keep us informed.
yep, +1.

tpms.JPG

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Keep us informed.
Well, I'm not an expert on tpms but I raised the pressure of the temp spare to the indicated value. It was low, according to the sidewall statement, and immediately the light went out on the next startup after being on for at least 3 weeks. I don't know what to tell you other than for 2 days now, it has remained off. I'll let you know if it comes back on. Extreme coincidence that the mere fact of inflating a non-sensored temp spare to its recommended pressure would immediately resolve a warning light issue. Thanks for your input, but for now the light is out.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Pure coincidence. Spares do not have TPMS sensors. Even if they did, they will not operate unless the wheel in driven on. Sensors are battery powered, and have to get turned on to send signals.

CRV computers are limited to four TPMS sensor codes.

Just to satisfy yourself, take the spare wheel out and go for a drive. Or lower the pressure.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Pure coincidence. Spares do not have TPMS sensors. Even if they did, they will not operate unless the wheel in driven on. Sensors are battery powered, and have to get turned on to send signals.

Just to satisfy yourself, take the spare wheel out and go for a drive. Or lower the pressure.
+1. Have (or had) an 08, 10, 11, and none of those have a TPMS sensor in the spare tire.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Well, I stand corrected. I took the spare out and took a drive. The low pressure light did NOT come back on. I looked at the valve stem and it definitely does not look like an aluminum sensor stem. Apparently an extreme case coincidence. But now, since I don't have an answer for this balky system, I'll just wait for it to malfunction again and be annoyed. Drives me nuts when I may have to pay big bucks for repair of an unreliable system that is monitoring a parameter that I can do myself and keep in safe functioning order with the use of a good tire gauge. Since it's a gov't mandated system, I am assuming it would be subject to annual safety inspection failure here in PA if that stupid light is on even though tire pressures are correct.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts