Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having an issue with a '07 CRV... The warning lights on the dash are flashing and the headlights / dome lights go dim and bright. I checked the output voltage and its surging to 18v+. The battery light flashes as well but not as often.

·
Super Moderator
3,190 Posts
Your alternator needs replacing. If you allow that 18v surge to happen enough times, you risk burning out your Ecus.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Figures. I was diagnosing the air conditioning not working and figured out that the coil went bad. I had the belt off and the compressor unbolted because I was contemplating replacing the clutch and coil myself but I could not rotate the compressor to a workable angle. So I bolted it back in place and put a new belt on as preventative maintenance. I started the car to make sure everything was good and noticed the odd idle and the lights flashing.

Is it just coincidence or is it possible something got knocked into when I was moving the compressor around?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can someone confirm this procedure to replacing the alternator? It's from Autozone's repair guide. I thought that there was more involved to it, such as removing the power steering pump and radiator for clearance.

Removal & Installation

Specific to:

Honda CR-V 2007-2008

Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
Disconnect the negative battery terminal.
Remove the accessory drive belt. Refer to Accessory Drive Belts, removal & installation.
Remove the drive belt auto-tensioner.
Remove the 3 bolts securing the alternator.
Disconnect the alternator electrical connectors and the harness clamp from the alternator.
Remove the alternator.

To install:

Place the alternator into position.
Connector the alternator electrical connectors and harness clamp to the alternator.
Install the 3 bolts securing the alternator and tighten to 16 ft. lbs. (22 Nm).
Install the drive belt auto-tensioner.
Install the drive belt. Refer to Accessory Drive Belts, removal & installation.
Connect the negative battery terminal.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I had another thought. While I had the CRV in the garage testing the connections to the compressor and coil, I had the ignition to ON without the vehicle running. After I was done I put on a battery tender to recharge the battery. Could the tender have at all damaged the alternator? I'm not saying at anytime the vehicle is ON or running with the tender connected because that's not the case. It was always OFF, key out, etc. I disconnected the battery to reset the computer and other electrical components then reconnected it. Now after startup the alternator is not charging nor powering the vehicle, it is completely running on battery. Does this verify that the alternator is in fact dead or raise more questions?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts