Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
My AC was not cold - took it in to the dealer to diagnose. $200 later, I found out I had low freon but they weren't sure why (freon had just been filled last summer after another AC issue). They put in some dye and asked me to return a week later to check it. So I just left the dealer with a hefty quote of $850 to replace my AC compressor due to a leak they found. The person giving me the information was less than helpful... she couldn't tell me where the leak was or how I could have gotten it. Her response was... "a rock could have gotten in there, or it could be from age, rust, salt... living in Wisconsin in the winter". So I have a few questions...
1) What causes a compressor to start leaking? Since I don't know anything about how it works, I don't know what questions to ask.
2) Is $850 a fair price (Milwaukee, WI)? I called around to some service shops and the quotes ranged from $675 to $1000!
3) Should they be replacing anything else at the same time?
4) If I take it to a shop (not the dealer), do I need to be concerned about what kind of compressor they are putting in there? Once shop said something about Japanese vs. Chinese compressor and the price difference being up to $300. Why???
5) Will anything happen if I don't get this fixed until next summer? Will it cause other things to fail?
6) Should I take it to another dealer for a second opinion (in the hopes of finding someone more helpful)?

Any information would be very helpful. I know CR-Vs are notorious for AC issues so I'm sure this isn't the last time I'll have to deal with this.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
2.) Yes it's a fair price. I paid over $1,300 on my old Jeep to get the A/C fixed.
4.) Chinese anything is cheap crap. I suggest going to the dealer where they will warranty all work and equipment that was replaced. Not to mention they are certified Honda techs and know what they are doing.
6.) It wouldn't hurt.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
You could ask if they'd honour the TBS (12 072) Compressor clutch replacement of 7 years or 100,000 miles.

Best of luck

·
Registered
772 Posts
Read this little story, may be related, maybe not. I use NAPA local repair shop for convience, and have used them for my last CRV timing belt, 1st class job, neat and clean. This summer my Tahoe was also low on freon, so I took it to them. No dye because I will not allow it. Due to age, 1999 one owner, they quoted 1000.00/1200.00 for comp/drier/cond. When I dropped it off, I told them there was some moisture around the low/high side fittings, he replied they were ok. I took it to a friend who has had a shop for over 40 yrs, I asked him to check it out and call me. Next day he called and had it fixed for $85.00, including two (2) schrader valves(low/high side fittings) the same type of valve in your tires only larger. I say this for one reason, a/c work is QUICK EASY $$$$$ and you really don't know what they did or did not do. As for your choice of dealer, don't go back, any one who would represent the dealer service dept. being that unfamiliar about the system needs different career. Hope I haven't bored you, but it's reality today. Get a second opinion and a third if necessary. JMHO and good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts