Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Honda CRV LX 2WD & 2004 Honda CRV EX 4WD
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I smelled burning oil, and looked underneath and a seemingly large amount of oil was coating the cross member behind the oil filter. It looked as if it had sprayed all the way to the back, and there was burnt oil on the exhaust. I cleaned it mostly off with degreaser soap, so it's not as oily, but I've barely driven 10 miles since I cleaned it. The oil smells like halfway combusted gas, though it always has to an extent when changing it. The oil level wasn't showing on the dipstick, but it looks like the correct amount came out when draining it. I can't for the life of me find the leak, and it seems it only leaks when driving, and maybe a small amount when idling in park. I change the oil and filter regularly, and always before the maintenance minder tells me to(I drive quite alot in the city as a delivery driver). It drives fine, no over heating or reduced power, but I'm honestly worried about what might be wrong. Any ideas? The pictures are after cleaning it with soap and water, and of the oil I drained out. The 2 pics at night are before cleaning it.

Attachments

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
8,775 Posts
That is a BIG leak. Does it seem to be coming from the filter base?

Could some of the old oil filter gasket have stuck to the block when you changed the filter?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is only the one seal that came with the new filter. I change the filter with every oil change due to how much stop and go driving I drive. It looks like it's originating from the filter or the plug. Both are snug though. I am about to get some UV dye and see if I can track it down that way. I'll post an update if I find the source.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
8,775 Posts
I would remove the filter and inspect the seal and the mating surface. Costs nothing (except cleanup time, LOL)

When you say plug you mean the drain bolt? Do you replace the crush washer each time? (I don't, but I'm careful to put it back exactly the same as it was removed, the way it faces)

Reactions: udraft

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I put some uv dye in the oil, and am waiting until dark to check to see where it's leaking. Filter is intact. If uv dye doesn't provide an answer, I'll check the washer

·
Premium Member
2018 EX-L fwd
500 Posts
The last time you changed the oil filter, did you check it to be sure that the o-ring came off with it? If it did not and remained on the filter housing, you will lose oil. As Carbuff2 said above, remove your present filter. Check it to see if that o-ring comes off with the filter. Then, wipe off, look at, and feel the filter housing to see if the previous filter o-ring is stuck on the filter body.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
I've had leakage issues but only when I would use the Fram oil filters. I went back to Mobil 1 with my last filter and it's leak free. Something about Fram's filters weren't seating correctly--looser, tighter, didn't matter, they all leaked. My filter base is even and smooth. I went to the bother of ordering a new filter base but never ended up installing it.

Our other '09 never had an issue, no matter what brand of filter I put on it. Go figure.

Oil can travel from just about anywhere, even places you wouldn't expect. Hope the dye will help you pinpoint it!

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
8,775 Posts
I've had leakage issues but only when I would use the Fram oil filters.
I use Honda filters, from the online dealers (quantity of six). Cheaper than the 'good' Frams. Some dealers will provide a crush washer for free!

Reactions: Wildcat

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
I use Honda filters, from the online dealers (quantity of six). Cheaper than the 'good' Frams. Some dealers will provide a crush washer for free!
Funny...our Honda and Acura dealer are the same owner, on the same property and even share their computer systems. (My account at the Honda dealer also appears at the Acura dealer.) Yet if I buy ATF from the Honda dealer, they want to charge me for a washer. The Acura dealer just places one on the counter for me, no charge. 😁

I may try Wix filters in the future since they are also highly regarded. The Mobil 1, many years ago, was tested to have the best filtration. I got so used to buying them on sale now that I do it out of habit. Bought two today, in fact (buy two, get a discount). M1-110A. Now that we have the TSX in the hooptie fleet, with a K24 engine, it uses the same filter.

The Honda filters at online dealers are also a good bargain. And some include free shipping. I'm still looking for a good deal on a couple of cases of DW-1 though...it's the shipping that kills it. My nearby discount parts dealer (Jim White Honda--one state away but only 75 minutes by car) does not sell the fluids at a discount. But Majestic has the ATF for around $5.74...before shipping, which adds a bit to the price.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Using the UV dye, I found that the crush washer was indeed causing the leak. When the oil pressure rose, a thin stream of oil would spray. Thank you for all the help.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts