Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 08 crv exl with factory navigation that recently stopped working. I like to keep things factory and want to replace the navigation with the standard six disc factory radio. If I buy the standard six disc radio will it be plug-and-play? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
8 Posts
@Honduhh21 "EXL" trim sounds like a North American market trim level, I'm working on that assumption so please correct me if I'm wrong.

You can replace the factory nav, but it's not as straightforward as replacing a CD-receiver because you [as far as I understand on 2008> NA spec factory-nav cars] have a separate amplifier for your speakers - and crucially, it's connected to the head unit on the same pins as passive (i.e. amplified by the head unit) door speakers. In short, without the correct wiring adapter or some DIY-adjustments, you'll be pushing ~50W amplified signals into the amplifier's line level inputs and very likely blow it up.

There may be off-the-shelf adapters which either provide line-level connections for the amp, or attenuate the speaker-level signals such that they're safe to connect to the amp. (The latter method while functional is like polishing a turd, and any audiophile worth their salt would be horrified at the prospect.) - Anything off-the-shelf will have to be specific for North American market vehicles with nav - non-nav and other markets (i.e. EU - like mine) are connected differently.

There are a couple of (off the top of my head) DIY ways to dodge the issue:

First, you could feed line level signals from the head unit (assuming it has left/right front & rear line (RCA) outs) to the amp. You could modify the car wiring loom behind the connector, but it's preferable to modify an intermediate harness adapter (so you've not butchered anything the factory did). Either way you'd effectively be doing the same thing - severing the connections for the speakers and fitting RCA phono plugs - so instead of connecting wires in the loom to amplified speaker outputs on an aftermarket stereo, you could connect the RCA plugs to its line ouputs.

The other way would be to bypass the amplifier and connect the head unit's internal amplifier directly to the speakers - without running new wiring to the speakers, this would mean some fiddling at the amplifier connections (it's located in the lower centre console - removing the trims to the centre of the car beside driver & passenger's feet should give you access). You'd disconnect the amp and then bridge the input & output wiring, such that the wires to each speaker were directly connected to what previously would've been the corresponding line-level input wires (which will have ~50W amplifed signals on them if you haven't re-jigged anything behind the head unit).

Someone else might be able to point you at off-the-shelf stuff; but if not and you fancy tackling the connections in one of the DIY ways suggested above, let me know and I'll go into more detail about which pins are what...

All the best,

Rob.

·
Registered
8 Posts
If he's got an amp (which 08> US-spec factory nav cars are likely to), it ain't.

Factory nav with amp puts about a watt into pins:

A12 & A3 (Front Left)
A15 & A7 (Front Right)
A11 & A2 (Rear Left)
A16 & A8 (Rear Right)

....a CD-radio will put ~50W into the same pins (and blow up the amp.)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts