Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I’ve searched and tried some trouble shooting but still not sure where to head with this.

I have a 2008 crv, over the last couple weeks when the ac is on, it blows cold when driving but when idling the car shakes on and off and the ac doesn’t blow as cold. Under the hood it makes a click sound from the relay box when the shaking starts.

Yesterday when the car was idling for about 30 minutes I saw steam coming from the engine, saw it was overheating, turned the car off and noticed a small puddle of coolant on the ground and the coolant reservoir was almost empty.

I refilled the coolant in the radiator and reservoir. Couldn’t find any leaks, seems like it came out of the weep holes in the top of the coolant reservoir.

The radiator and ac fans don’t start when the car starts or warms up but when driving they seem to come on. If I start the car with the ac I can spin the fan with my hand and it will catch and start to go, sometimes it will stay running and sometimes not.

Today when I was driving it the temp gauge went all the way up and back to normal in the span of about 2 minutes or less.

Not sure where to start looking. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
You need to take it to a shop. Asking the internet with no knowledge or understanding of things is going to cost you a lot more in the long run. People can sit here and list 100 possible things (and half those will have nothing to do with your problem) then you have to choose which to follow. Only to end up wasting money replacing parts that do nothing. Plus you keep driving it without a clue to the fact you have probably done some damage to your engine already by driving it with these problems existing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You need to take it to a shop. Asking the internet with no knowledge or understanding of things is going to cost you a lot more in the long run. People can sit here and list 100 possible things (and half those will have nothing to do with your problem) then you have to choose which to follow. Only to end up wasting money replacing parts that do nothing. Plus you keep driving it without a clue to the fact you have probably done some damage to your engine already by driving it with these problems existing.

I have a good understanding of the situation. Been driving it with an eye to see if the problem persists. Thought I fixed it yesterday but have some other issues. Just trying to see if someone has had the same type of issues or may know if they are somehow related.

·
Premium Member
2005 and 2006 EX AWD
451 Posts
probably both fans are bad they should both run with ac clutch engaged so if the clutch cycles the fans will also cycle if the radiator is under 199F it happened to this person there could be other problems so checking for power and ground on the fans power connectors, usually less than a foot from the fan motor is the first step ,the clicking you hear is relays and the ac clutch putting a a load on the engine https://www.crvownersclub.com/threads/overheated.197841/

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,670 Posts
Okay, I’ve searched and tried some trouble shooting but still not sure where to head with this.

I have a 2008 crv, over the last couple weeks when the ac is on, it blows cold when driving but when idling the car shakes on and off and the ac doesn’t blow as cold. Under the hood it makes a click sound from the relay box when the shaking starts.

Yesterday when the car was idling for about 30 minutes I saw steam coming from the engine, saw it was overheating, turned the car off and noticed a small puddle of coolant on the ground and the coolant reservoir was almost empty.

I refilled the coolant in the radiator and reservoir. Couldn’t find any leaks, seems like it came out of the weep holes in the top of the coolant reservoir.

The radiator and ac fans don’t start when the car starts or warms up but when driving they seem to come on. If I start the car with the ac I can spin the fan with my hand and it will catch and start to go, sometimes it will stay running and sometimes not.

Today when I was driving it the temp gauge went all the way up and back to normal in the span of about 2 minutes or less.

First, your A/C is short-cycling, which probably means it is low on freon. Second, you may have a sticking thermostat or water pump going out, causing the overheating. Or possibly you have run the car out of oil with the same result. There are a whole host of other possibilities too. My advice is to take the car to a competent mechanic. Most likely causes are not things you would fix yourself anyway, and you are in danger of burning up the engine if you continue to drive it as is.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
First, your A/C is short-cycling, which probably means it is low on freon. Second, you may have a sticking thermostat or water pump going out, causing the overheating. Or possibly you have run the car out of oil with the same result. There are a whole host of other possibilities too. My advice is to take the car to a competent mechanic. Most likely causes are not things you would fix yourself anyway, and you are in danger of burning up the engine if you continue to drive it as is.
Thanks for the input. A couple things, When both fans (ac and radiator) are on, the ac doesn't cycle on and off. It only does that when the fan doesn't turn on. I checked the fans yesterday by connecting them to the battery. At first they don't turn on, unless I give them a tap or spin with my fingers. Would this mean the fans are bad?

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Good fans, when connected directly to a battery, will roar instantly.

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,927 Posts
Thanks for the input. A couple things, When both fans (ac and radiator) are on, the ac doesn't cycle on and off. It only does that when the fan doesn't turn on. I checked the fans yesterday by connecting them to the battery. At first they don't turn on, unless I give them a tap or spin with my fingers. Would this mean the fans are bad?
Sounds like either dirty or bad bearings in the fans. But that's a guess, based on your reported symptoms.

I have no idea if you can R&R that.. or if you should just replace them.

Clearly... fans not working as designed would be a source of overheating issues.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sounds like either dirty or bad bearings in the fans. But that's a guess, based on your reported symptoms.

I have no idea if you can R&R that.. or if you should just replace them.

Clearly... fans not working as designed would be a source of overheating issues.
Thanks. I’m going to replace the fans this week. I think that will take care of the issue.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,670 Posts
While all these things are possibilities, the fans are computer controlled, and subject to the correct functions of a number of sensors and modules the computer monitors as it decides when to turn the fans on and off. Which is why the factory service manual has an extremely thorough and lengthy troubleshooting guide for the purpose. I highly recommend you get yourself one, and go through that procedure before just replacing parts. My fsm has paid for itself quickly. I got it off eBay, on CD in pdf form, for $45.

·
Registered
3 Posts

I have an '08 CR-V AWD that I purchased new 160K miles ago. Had similar problem to what you describe a couple of months ago and had to replace A/C fan motor and radiator fan motor. That solved the issue.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Awesome. Good to know. I did some testing and narrowed it down to both of those as well. Planning to get them replaced. Thank you

·
Registered
205 Posts
If I start the car with the ac I can spin the fan with my hand and it will catch and start to go, sometimes it will stay running and sometimes not.
If the fans aren't spinning when you start the engine with the a/c on and then you push the blade with your finger and then it starts turning (probably not very high rpm is my guess) then the motor is bad. The most common failure on these is the "condenser" fan motor which is the flatter, "pancake" motor on the passenger side of the vehicle. Of course, I've seen the main "radiator" fan motor on the driver side go bad as well. If the fan turns when you push the blade and keeps running, albeit slower than normal, that tells you that the fan is receiver power but the motor is bad (probably worn brushes). I just replaced the condenser fan on my niece's 2008 CR-V this weekend, although she also has an intermittent compressor clutch coil that sometimes engages and sometimes doesn't so that's yet another job for the coming weekend.

·
Registered
205 Posts
First, your A/C is short-cycling, which probably means it is low on freon.
I don't want to be a "stickler" about things but being a Master Tech for over 44 years has just made me cringe every time I hear people say "freon". Freon only referred to R-12 refrigerant which was not used in vehicles since model year 1994, when it was replaced with R-134a. By 2020, all vehicles will be required to only be equipped with R1234yf, a new more expensive refrigerant, which many models already are using. But, I guess it's like the way people use the term "Kleenex" for facial tissues and "Xerox" for photocopies regardless of the manufacturer. Sorry, it's just one of the few pet peeves I have regarding the auto industry.?

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,670 Posts
I don't want to be a "stickler" about things but being a Master Tech for over 44 years has just made me cringe every time I hear people say "freon". Freon only referred to R-12 refrigerant which was not used in vehicles since model year 1994, when it was replaced with R-134a. By 2020, all vehicles will be required to only be equipped with R1234yf, a new more expensive refrigerant, which many models already are using. But, I guess it's like the way people use the term "Kleenex" for facial tissues and "Xerox" for photocopies regardless of the manufacturer. Sorry, it's just one of the few pet peeves I have regarding the auto industry.?
I get it. For years I worked on the side as a commercial/residential HVAC tech, so I know. Same goes for R-20. The reason I still use the word Freon is that it takes way less time to type Freon than refrigerant. Of course, it could have been that I just like to irritate literal people, but the truth is I'm just a lazy typist. So don't take it personal. Even though, to be honest, I'm old school, which means that I don't care who I offend. But that's another story. :giggle:

·
Registered
84 Posts
I find it amazing how many times I read about these fans going out, and only on Hondas. It's like the Nissan power steering hoses. Other than Nissan, I have never heard of any other car (certainly none that I have owned) losing power steering hoses. Whatever happened to incremental engineering improvements?

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Well that settles it......I’m getting rid of our V, the fan(s) might go out.?

·
Premium Member
2005 and 2006 EX AWD
451 Posts
I get it. For years I worked on the side as a commercial/residential HVAC tech, so I know. Same goes for R-20. The reason I still use the word Freon is that it takes way less time to type Freon than refrigerant. Of course, it could have been that I just like to irritate literal people, but the truth is I'm just a lazy typist. So don't take it personal. Even though, to be honest, I'm old school, which means that I don't care who I offend. But that's another story. :giggle:
I agree, like Vicegrip"locking pliers or Channellock " adjustable pliers " or Locktite "thread locker" are all brand names and not the item,I have a guy at work thats been a tech for 30 years and I always correct him when he calls it Freon LOL we have Dupont R134A so he should be calling it Dupont

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,670 Posts
I know what you mean, but I will say this. If you are talking with someone - anyone, and you mention that maybe their system is low on Freon, they will know exactly what you mean, whereas if you say they are low on Dupont, they are most likely to just look at you funny, and have no idea what you are talking about. Freon was used exclusively for somewhere near fifty years, so most people know the term. Besides, R134A has now become obsolete, too.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts