Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Change the PCV valve this weekend on our 08 CRV. We have around 156K and was experiencing some oil consumption in so it was on the list to change. The process to remove it was easy. Remove the front plastic shield to expose the tube that runs from the intake manifold over to the PCV valve which is on the left side of the engine, down by the alternator. [It is the only rubber tube on the top of the manifold that runs over to the passenger side. A small pair of angled pliers to remove the spring clamp back on the tube is needed. Not a lot of room and I found that I could angle in better with smaller pliers. The rubber hose was stuck. I ended up running the engine for a bit to warm up the valve and help to unstick the tube. I ended up using a large screwdriver and gently prying between the PCV housing and the end of the tube so I did not rip/damage the tube. Once warm, the tube popped off. Backed the old valve out, replaced the crush washer and on with the new. The old valve was extremely dirty and crusty. Definitely time for a change. The tube went back on, clamp repositioned and the plastic cover was replace. The CRV is noticeably quieter on startup now. I'll keep track of oil consumption to see if it has any impact. Total time, 30 minutes. Difficulty 2 out of 5 just because the rubber tube was stuck.

On other vehicles I've owned, the PCV valve is located up on top of the valve cover with easy access to remove and check. If you have not checked yours, take the extra couple minutes, pull it and verify the condition. Replacements I've found ranged in cost from 7 to 22 bucks for OEM.

·
Registered
14 Posts
did it solve your oil consumption problem? my 2008 burns 2 quarts per 4k miles and i am hoping that it's the pcv valve

·
Registered
29 Posts
@julien your oil consumption problem is not necessary cause by the pcv. Can you described your driving habit, maintenance, region you're in? This will help us provides feedback to possibly a resolution.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
That's good the PCV is conveniently located. 2004 Civic with D17A1 engine--it's on the lower half of the engine, in the back, and you have to remove the driver's side tire to get to it. I replaced it when I replaced the cylinder head, since I had plenty of room when everything was removed. I also replaced cam and crank seals (looks like the crank seal was leaking), and the valve cover gasket and cylinder head plug were replaced not too long ago. I'm waiting to see if it still loses oil. If so, oil caked up on the oil rings (on the pistons) is known in these Civics to cause burning oil. Valve stem seals can also leak and cause oil to be burned. There are a few ways an engine can lose oil...

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
did it solve your oil consumption problem? my 2008 burns 2 quarts per 4k miles and i am hoping that it's the pcv valve
It did help quite a bit. I still use oil but it is around a quart in 10K miles. Getting ready to roll 200K here in the next couple months so it is due for plugs and some general TLC.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
It did help quite a bit. I still use oil but it is around a quart in 10K miles.
That is really good! Especially being so close to 200k! I might go through half a quart in 10,000 miles; the blue '09 might use a quart. The V6 Accord maybe a quart and a half between changes. Our Civic was eating a quart of oil every week, seemingly. The PCV was probably part of the culprit. A leaking crank seal, evidenced by oil all around it under the timing belt cover, also contributed, as did the typical leaky valve cover gasket and that pesky cylinder block plug. (Although the oil from the crank seal leaking did help hold in all the plastic shavings from the lower cover, thanks to a previous sloppy timing belt change. 😏) I still need to put it up on stands again and see how the oil pan gasket is holding up--I do have one on hand, but didn't replace it just yet. My '97 used to go through a quart or more between 7,500 mile oil changes, especially as it got older. I've read that the standard for high consumption is when it exceeded one quart per 1,000 miles (which seems excessive to me, unless I'm not remembering it correctly).

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm quite pleased how the 08 is holding up. None of the usual leaks I would expect to see such as valve cover gaskets and crank seals with its age and miles. I've got plugs on hand for when it is back home next weekend. Get that done before cold weather sets in and I'm out there freezing. The Accord i4 barely uses any oil and that has 76K on it. The Ridgeline just had it's first change a week back and the only concern was that it now takes more oil on a change than the earlier gen in my Pilot. Lucky I had an extra quart on the shelf. 5.8Qt with a filter. Pilot was 5

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Our Civic was leaking in a few places. I don't think the K24 engine has that cylinder head plug at the end of the camshaft like it does in the B- and D-series engines. It's a $4 plastic disc with an o-ring, and they all leak. When I did the valve lash on the '09, I replaced the valve cover gasket and spark plug tube gaskets while I had it off. Doing the valves was a pain, though, since the rear valves require stretching over and leaning on the engine to get to them. My '97 was much easier. The Civic was the easiest, but, I did that while the cylinder head was still on my workbench. 😁 I need to readjust the valve lash in a few hundred more miles on that one, in case it has drifted.

The only leak on our '09s is the transmission in the blue one, and it hasn't been home enough yet for me to troubleshoot it further.

Does your Accord still have the K-series engine? I'm almost thinking of finding my daughter a TSX since it uses a K-series engine, and won't have the dodgy B7XA transmission that is a problem waiting to happen.

I found a newer TSX at a Copart auction that claims to have "vandalism" damage--I can't see anything wrong in the photos, but it has no key to start it and get the mileage. I would probably pay someone to inspect it (~$100) if I were seriously going to bid on it. (I just hope that the vandalism didn't mean someone dumped sugar in the gas tank, although the fuel door is not damaged.) But cars without keys often sell dirt cheap, a fraction of the cost of something known to run and drive.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will have to look on the engine tonight when I get home to see if it is a K-series. Push button start. It is mated to the CVT which in my experience has been great so far. We do mostly highway with a bit of city driving thrown in and average consistently in the upper 30's to low 40's on mileage.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I will have to look on the engine tonight when I get home to see if it is a K-series. Push button start. It is mated to the CVT which in my experience has been great so far. We do mostly highway with a bit of city driving thrown in and average consistently in the upper 30's to low 40's on mileage.
Just taking a quick look online, it is probably a K24W Earth Dreams engine, if it is a 2.4L (which USDM Accords apparently used in that generation).

The TSX I found is still a "future" auction (no date given), and with it being a 2013, it still has the K-series (K24Z3) that is similar to what has been used in the CR-V.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just taking a quick look online, it is probably a K24W Earth Dreams engine, if it is a 2.4L (which USDM Accords apparently used in that generation).

The TSX I found is still a "future" auction (no date given), and with it being a 2013, it still has the K-series (K24Z3) that is similar to what has been used in the CR-V.
Correct it is the Earth Dreams 2.4. Built just down the road from me

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Correct it is the Earth Dreams 2.4. Built just down the road from me
👍👍

Three years ago, we drove home through Marysville after picking up my '09 in Dublin, OH. Not surprisingly, I have way better luck shopping for used Hondas in Ohio--there are more of them, and in better condition, than what we find up here.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
👍👍

Three years ago, we drove home through Marysville after picking up my '09 in Dublin, OH. Not surprisingly, I have way better luck shopping for used Hondas in Ohio--there are more of them, and in better condition, than what we find up here.
Yeah, they have a pretty loyal following up here in the community. Pretty much all my neighbors work for Honda or one of their suppliers. You see a ton of their products on the road and as you said a very healthy used market, older models but well maintained. We don't have to deal with as much salt down here so they tend to live quite long lives. Keep up on the maintenance and they will just keep going. The CRV comes home this Thursday so I'll get to give it a bit of love and get it ready for winter.

·
Registered
325 Posts

just a heads up on the TSX if you can get the VIN# or license plate go to MY CARFAX.COM and you can get the vehicle history with mileage,only my carfax without the MY in front of carfax isn't free,I discovered this when I googled carfax when I was looking at CRV's a year ago to replace the one that got totaled ,I was surprised to see on my carfax.com that the totaled 2003 CRV was rebuilt salvage titled and back on the road it was a bad Tbone on the passenger side all airbags deployed ,the wife and 2 daughters and the dog all were ok,I showed up at the accident after she called and i left work ,after seeing how well the CRV held up to a 40 MPH Tbone hit I said were getting another one so we replaced it with a 2006 , on the 06 I was able to see things like the timing chain was done 12K miles ago before buying it ,https://www.mycarfax.com/login

1 - 14 of 14 Posts