Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had just done the rear brakes on my 08 EXL back in August around 12K ago. Replaced calipers, pads and rotors. Son came home a couple weeks ago complaining of decreased MPG and brake smell. Checked all 4 corners when I did the 200K service and found that I had one rear (driver side) wearing faster than the other with major grooving in the rotor. Ended up popping it apart and found two issues. One being a small stone got between the rotor and the outside pad, how it didn't drive him nuts with the noise, I'll never know and the second issue being that the outside pad was binding hard in the slide. I cleaned everything up and ordered another pair of rotors and pads for the rear. Put them on this past weekend. Went with the Power Stop rotors with the anti rust coating and a set of the Centric PQ Pro pads. Everything came apart easily and went back together without a fuss. One thing I did note was the dust shield is rusting out and will need replaced. Anyone do these yet and how difficult are they going to be? Does the axle shaft need pulled to get to it or we just talking a few bolts?

Front pads looked by eye to have over 60% pad life left when compared to new pads and the rotors are wearing nice and even. I knocked the rust ridge off the edge with a file and held off pads and rotors at this time. The other thing I noted is the dust covers on the front struts are shot. Over 100K on those so I'll just order complete units and replace them this summer. No leaks yet so we'll let them ride. Probably need a set of the sway bar end links when the time comes. I hate fighting them to get them free. Road Salt sucks.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
12,135 Posts
Binding pads in their slots is a common issue, especially with aftermarket parts (calipers).

You may want to pull the pads out again, then file the areas under the stainless pad guides. Before reassembly, coat the areas with brake grease to keep new corrosion at bay.

Goal: the pads should freely fall out of the holders.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I had just done the rear brakes on my 08 EXL back in August around 12K ago. Replaced calipers, pads and rotors. Son came home a couple weeks ago complaining of decreased MPG and brake smell. Checked all 4 corners when I did the 200K service and found that I had one rear (driver side) wearing faster than the other with major grooving in the rotor. Ended up popping it apart and found two issues. One being a small stone got between the rotor and the outside pad, how it didn't drive him nuts with the noise, I'll never know and the second issue being that the outside pad was binding hard in the slide. I cleaned everything up and ordered another pair of rotors and pads for the rear. Put them on this past weekend. Went with the Power Stop rotors with the anti rust coating and a set of the Centric PQ Pro pads. Everything came apart easily and went back together without a fuss. One thing I did note was the dust shield is rusting out and will need replaced. Anyone do these yet and how difficult are they going to be? Does the axle shaft need pulled to get to it or we just talking a few bolts?

Front pads looked by eye to have over 60% pad life left when compared to new pads and the rotors are wearing nice and even. I knocked the rust ridge off the edge with a file and held off pads and rotors at this time. The other thing I noted is the dust covers on the front struts are shot. Over 100K on those so I'll just order complete units and replace them this summer. No leaks yet so we'll let them ride. Probably need a set of the sway bar end links when the time comes. I hate fighting them to get them free. Road Salt sucks.
I let a Dealer replace the backing plates on my '07 having no clue what it entailed and they charged 5 hours labor!

A quick look at the Shop Manual reveals why. The backing plate and the parking brake come off as one unit and you have to remove the hubs to get them off.

The service writer who called for authorization to replace them offered they were rusted pretty bad; BUT, they could clean them up, paint them and they would be OK for a while. Had I realized the expense of replacement I would have opted for just cleanup.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Binding pads in their slots is a common issue, especially with aftermarket parts (calipers).

You may want to pull the pads out again, then file the areas under the stainless pad guides. Before reassembly, coat the areas with brake grease to keep new corrosion at bay.

Goal: the pads should freely fall out of the holders.
I did check the underlying hardware where the pad slides sit. Went at it with a wire brush, a Dremel for the high spots and then some high temp paint. The new pads move freely on them now. There was a ton of rust buildup on the ear of the binding pad. I had added a bit of high temp grease to that ear when I installed them last fall, I think that ultimately ended up trapping moisture and causing more issue.

My backing plates are starting to rust out up top and then over on the lower left side as you look at the hub. Major rust through on that left side, minor up top. They could probably go another year but I'll get them when the weather is nice sometime this summer. If I have to pull the hubs, I may also look at replacing the rear struts. Like the front they have over 100K on them.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
NAPA premium brakes are so much better than the Honda brakes that came with my wife's 2012. No binding and very little wear. She was going through a set of OEM brakes on the rear end every year! If you need new calipers, pads, or rotors, NAPA is the way to go!

·
Premium Member
2,694 Posts
and the second issue being that the outside pad was binding hard in the slide.
You need to replace that caliper hardware. It was about $11/set for my CR-Vs. They get too corroded and prevent the pads from floating freely within the calipers.

This is what you need:

After that incident with my CR-V on a road trip, I now replace this hardware with ever brake job I do.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.