Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I just had a quick maintenance question, It's time to do the brakes on the crv, and my parking break is very loose and takes a lot of clicks to set. My CRV has 117k on it and since i was goign to be doing the brakes and the rotors i was wondering if the shoes for the parking break should be replaced as well, or when they should be replaced, or if they should be replaced at all. any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. BTW its an 09, we got it with 40k miles and have never touched the parking brake or the shoes but its always been loose.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hello,

Most likely the parking brake just needs adjustment, but since you are changing the rotors, you can check the thickness and know for sure. The minimum thickness for a 2007 parking brake is 1 millimeter. I imagine the 2009 is the same but you'll have to research to know for sure. Regardless, my 2007 has 140k and I had a bad cable which caused the brake to drag a couple of times, and mine was more than fine. It's also a bit of a pain to change the shoes, and since they aren't critical I wouldn't bother unless they are totally shot.

The parking brake can be adjusted at the pedal for minor adjustments, and the wheel for major. Since you are changing the rotors, you'll probably need to do both, and my guess is you'll be good to go.

Mark

·
Everything in Moderation
8,178 Posts
X2

As long as you do not make a habit of driving with the parking brake on, your parking brake shoes should never wear out.

Lubricating the cable, ends, and shoe-to-backing-plate surfaces are mandatory if you have the rear rotors off.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your help, i will check if they need replacing before i order them. I figured they wouldnt need to be replaced as it doesnt stop the car just holds it still. Thanks soo much.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts