Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from dealership. My 09 Cr-v has a two bad engine fans and bad AC compressor w/bad hoses. $4000 total.
We just finished installing new front struts and sway links (saving $650 in labor). (thanks to everyone for recommending KYB struts over Monroe)

How difficult is it to install engine fans and AC compressor?
Seen several sites suggesting replacing condenser at same time as compressor, is it truly needed?

If anyone knows of good videos or manual pages for either repairs, please send those over too.

Thanks,

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
9,482 Posts
If your compressor has 'imploded' (leaving contaminants throughout the system) replacing that is a good idea.

Take a look at the fins on it...if they are missing thats another sign that replacement is warranted. (reduced efficiency)

Both our V and our '07 Fit's evaporators are deteriorating. A/C still working acceptably in both cars, however.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
If your AC compressor died in the way Carbuff mentioned leaving particles in the system, condenser is just the start of it possibly.

Both fans being dead sounds a bit odd, vehicle would be overheating if both didnt work. You did take it to a dealer instead of independant mechanic which is part of the insane costs.

Always best to take it to independant shop and have it diagnosed without telling them anything besides the issues you noticed that caused the need to be checked. If you tell them you went to the dealership first then they are going to smell money and though cheaper, may end up spending more than needed to get matters fixed.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It did overheat. I called back dealership and they said condenser fan and radiator fan, both.
If I'm taking this much out, I'm guessing the condenser is easy to do at this point.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
It's simply in front of the radiator.

Replacing the parts arent the bad part except making sure all seals are replaced correctly, it's getting the system working again because they DIY systems with a gauge and a can are a joke by themselves. Need a vacuum pump and proper AC gauge set. And only replacing part of the system can end up causing a waste of money in refrigerant if system doesnt work first try because you have to evacuate the refrigerant, make repairs and try again.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts