Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,154 Posts

Because. I use it.

Reactions: JoeKickass

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I've read that this oil was recently developed for GDI, turbo engines and will provide superior protection compared to standard synthetic.
The biggest concern on the 1.5T is oil dilution. So starting with an even thinner oil isn't really advised. And no 0w16 doesn't provide superior protection in and of itself. That's marketing crap.

I personally suggest 0w30 full sythentic so when the oil gets diluted/thinner, it will be closer to 0w20 or 5w20 when you get closer to your next oil change.

·
Registered
705 Posts
No ,it was created to give .25 more mpg on the highway over 0W20. The same reason the 0W20 was over 5W20 - an extra .25 mpg on the highway.
Yes - it give more oil dilution - the thinner the oil the more that escapes the piston rings under pressure. Turbo = pressure.

·
Premium Member
6,154 Posts
because the say the recommended oil and the substituion in the manual to be changed out the next change is ALL you, Use the brand and oil you want, we know you will.

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,554 Posts
While it is true that 0W16 has been spec'ed for some Honda's in Japan for a while now, there may be some design differences in vehicles made for the Japan Market that factor in the use of a thinner oil.

The core directive here is, and always will be: FOLLOW your owners manual... and don't improvise. In North America, 0W20 is what is specified for your gen5 CRV.

As noted by others already in this thread... given that some 1.5Ts seem to experience measurable OD, if anything you would go up one level in oil to 0W30... NOT the other direction. Since we know the Hondas in some other market regions are the same exact engine design... yet are spec'ed to allow 0W30 oil.. this is a safe move and prudent for any owner experiencing measurable oil rise. That said.. I believe in North America.. Honda dealers will only use 0W20 for any service work they perform.

·
Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
2,572 Posts
owners manual - 0w-20 for all gen5's
Which owner's manual. In Japan they recommend 0w20, 0w30, 3W30 and 10W30. In the UK they recommend 0W30, 5W30, 10W30 and only 0W20 if it's Honda's oil. The engine is designed to operate over a wider range of viscosities than what's list in the US manual.

Attachments

·
Registered
359 Posts
Which owner's manual. In Japan they recommend 0w20, 0w30, 3W30 and 10W30. In the UK they recommend 0W30, 5W30, 10W30 and only 0W20 if it's Honda's oil. The engine is designed to operate over a wider range of viscosities than what's list in the US manual.
Yes, several other oil ranges, I didn't happen to notice 0w16 in there though. It appears all recommendations are for going up, not down.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Viscosity diff between 0w-20 and 0w-16 is, IMO, miniscule. I'd like to know the diff in viscosity index. The big diff I've heard is in the oil formulation of the additive package. I've heard the additives in the 0w-16 is directed toward improvement in minimizing carbon buildup on the intake valves. Apparently the additive has a cleaning agent that travels thru the PCV system in order to affect the intake valves.

·
Registered
114 Posts
2017 CRV EX-L Turbo with Nav. My owner's manual does not even mention 0w-16 and specifically specifies 0w-20.

0w-16 has supposedly been around since before 2000 & is touted for hybrids, improved fuel economy & much easier cold weather starts. Fuel economy improvement is supposed to be about 2% over 0W-20 which really is not much but would help auto makers meet stricter government fuel standards.

There has to be a viscosity limit before they get to 0w0, although there is a 0W-08 currently in limited use in Japan, but developers will keep pushing the envelope with lower viscosities until one destroys a few engines in real world use & then they will back up a level.

If an engine was not designed & manufactured to use 0w-16, it is probably best to stick with the 0w-20 oil recommended by the Honda manual.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Will never understand why when a manufacturer designs, tests, builds and warranties a product, such as the Honda, that individuals feel they know better what lube, fuel or whatever will work best. Then if it breaks, they insist the manufacturer warranty the item. What's wrong with the manufacturer's specifications?

·
Premium Member
6,154 Posts
love it no one can agree. and you get what you deserve when you simply choose Keyword was Choose. to ignore. endjoy

·
Registered
833 Posts
Viscosity diff between 0w-20 and 0w-16 is, IMO, miniscule. I'd like to know the diff in viscosity index. The big diff I've heard is in the oil formulation of the additive package. I've heard the additives in the 0w-16 is directed toward improvement in minimizing carbon buildup on the intake valves. Apparently the additive has a cleaning agent that travels thru the PCV system in order to affect the intake valves.
Viscosity index is really just the rate oil viscosity decreases between 40C and 100C and can vary considerably by manufacturer for the same oil grade. And a high viscosity index isn’t necessarily a good thing unless it’s a result of better base stocks.

The real Issue here is HTHS (high temperature, high shear) viscosity, which should be the lowest viscosity an oil will reach in the hottest part of the engine under the most extreme conditions. OEMs select a viscosity grade with this in mind. The minimum HTHS for a 20 weight oil is 2.6, the minimum for a 16 weight 2.3. Honda doesn’t seem to think 2.3 is adequate for its current engines.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.