Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2008 EX AWD
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may have been covered before but my search results weren’t showing me what I needed to know.

As we all know, the 2008 calls for 5W-20 oil. My 2012 Odyssey takes 0W-20. Obviously it’s a completely different engine, V6 vs 4, but do you think it’s ok to use 0W-20 in the CR-V? I mainly just don’t want to have to buy 2 different weights.

My iPhone XS Max is better than your android!

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,777 Posts
Sure, it's OK.

The 0W will still protect same as a 5W when the engine is warmed up.

An additional benefit would be that a 0W-20 oil is probably a synthetic.

·
Premium Member
2008 EX AWD
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’ve only been using Mobil 1 full synthetic since I bought it Nov 2017.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
nothing wrong with doing it but 0w20 and 5w20 are not the same when warm. It's rather close and normal person would never see the difference. 0w20 is not a good choice though if you live in a hot climate region (south west for instance) Where as in a colder climate region that gets real winters, 0w20 is great as engine starts noticeably easier in extreme cold.

You can put 5w20 in the odyssey too and wont hurt a thing.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2008 EX AWD
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
nothing wrong with doing it but 0w20 and 5w20 are not the same when warm. It's rather close and normal person would never see the difference. 0w20 is not a good choice though if you live in a hot climate region (south west for instance) Where as in a colder climate region that gets real winters, 0w20 is great as engine starts noticeably easier in extreme cold.

You can put 5w20 in the odyssey too and wont hurt a thing.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
I’m in Kentucky - we kinda get both. 90°-100° highs in the summer and 20°-30° lows in the winter.

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
3,776 Posts
My philosophy on viscosity (!) is that when compared to the recommended viscosity if the first number is equal to or lower than recommended, you're ok. If the second number is equal to or higher, you are ok.

·
Registered
2013 CRV EX FWD
2,920 Posts
You'll be fine running 0w-20.

·
Registered
2 Posts
On a 2010 CR-V that is burning oil,would moving from 0W-20 to a 5W-20 or 30 help slow down the oil consumption without other side effects?

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,670 Posts
This may have been covered before but my search results weren’t showing me what I needed to know.

As we all know, the 2008 calls for 5W-20 oil. My 2012 Odyssey takes 0W-20. Obviously it’s a completely different engine, V6 vs 4, but do you think it’s ok to use 0W-20 in the CR-V? I mainly just don’t want to have to buy 2 different weights.
I wouldn't. I don't know how many miles your '08 has but I wouldn't change oils at this late date. IMO stick with the factory recommendation. It's not that big of a hassle.

As if! My HTC Ten (which is a year old) is faster, and has a microSD card slot with 256Gb of music storage on it. It is more versatile, more configurable, more reliable, has a much better OS, a better case, a better screen, a better battery, and yet cost less. It can and does do anything your pie-flavored brick can do and do it way, way better. And it doesn't swell up like a toad every year when the battery catches on fire like my brother's iPhone does, when I have to put a new one in it for him. So dream on! Just like with computers, Apple is always far behind and way overpriced.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts