Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know that brand/type of turbocharger is on the new 1.5? I know its a single scroll (not sure why it's not a twin scroll), but I wasn't sure if Garret, Borg Warner, or someone else makes it?

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,891 Posts
Does anyone know that brand/type of turbocharger is on the new 1.5? I know its a single scroll (not sure why it's not a twin scroll), but I wasn't sure if Garret, Borg Warner, or someone else makes it?
If I recall correctly, it is manufactured by Mitsubishi, to Honda specifications. There are actually two versions of the turbo unit... as they have two different blade counts in them, depending on how the 1.5T is configured and tuned. I believe CRVs use the TD025.

It is indeed single spool, is very compact, and spools up extremely fast as soon as the engine passes 1600 rpm.

I know that some Civic enthusiasts have installed a higher performance turbo (aftermarket kit) in their 1.5Ts, as well as retuning the engines and changing the air intake assemblies to boost the engine well past spec limits. And apparently, this little engine is robust enough in design that they can take the horse power and torgue quite a ways up from factory spec and not have premature failures. If one can believe the hype.... it is possible with aftermarket turbo kits, retuning, and new MAF parts to boost this little engine to over 360 horse power, with torgue over 320. https://www.civicx.com/threads/prl-...-bolt-on-big-turbo-kit-upgrade-results.24819/

Some CRV owners continue to worry and fuss over the 1.5T engine being "delicate" or "prone to failure" in the face of the OD issues early on... but watching what Civic enthusiasts have been doing with this engine platform over the last 4 years.... I'm simply not buying in to all the hand wringing. Same goes for all the worry about "carbon buildup" in this engine.. as Civic owners keep looking and can't seem to find any when they open up their engines.

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,891 Posts
It's a TD03 by Mitsubishi Heavy Industries. (Been in use for a long time on a wide variety of applications, from BMW's to diesel tractors.)
The marketing documentation says TD03 or TD04, but apparently the documentation is wrong. It's a TD025. Same confusion with Civics... for which the SI version and the CRV share the same exact engine configuration.

Per Wikipedia: (source info from: https://www.civicx.com/threads/this-isnt-a-td03.19923/ )

L15B7 VTC Engine Found in:
2016— Honda Civic turbo (US, Canada, China)
2017— Honda Civic Si (US, Canada & México)
2017— Honda CR-V, non-LX (US, China)
2017 Acura CDX (China)
2018— Honda Accord (US & Canada)
Engine Type: DOHC in-line 4-cylinder with VTC, single scroll MHI-TD03 turbo and internal wastegate, and VTEC (Although Advertised as a TD04 by Honda, the turbo is actually a newer TD025)

Kind of academic though.. because the TD03, TD04, and TD025 are pretty similar and it is likely Honda put some custom spec requirements on it in any event rather then the stock MHI unit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts