Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1.5L (T) 2019 CR-V Catch Can (Ongoing)

637 Views 1 Reply 2 Participants Last post by  williamsji
"Why should I consider a catch can? What does it do?"
I'd recommend this video.
And this article.
Here is an summary in bullet points:
  • As the engine runs, pressure builds in the crank case. This pressure has to escape.
  • The pressure escapes through the PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) system. This pressure is mostly air, but also contains particles of oil, exhaust, and gasoline.
  • In very, very old cars - the pressure vacated straight into the atmosphere. This isn't great for the environment, and was regulated.
  • Now, the PCV feeds directly into the intake system, and back into the combustion process.
  • This is not a problem with port-injected engines. In these engines, fuel is sprayed over the valve. This prevents oil, exhaust, and gasoline particles from caking on the back of the valves. Gasoline is a very good solvent, and it cleans the valves faster than they can get dirty.
  • This is more of a problem for direct-injection engines, where there is no fuel being sprayed on the back of the valves to clean them. Oil, exhaust, and gas particles can build up and harden on the backs of the valves, which can cause problems later down the line. The worst case scenario is that this buildup breaks off and enters the combustion chamber, or somehow impedes the operation of the valve.
  • A catch-can is a device installed halfway through the PCV system, designed to "catch" as many non-air particles as possible, and prevent them from entering the intake system & building up on the valves.

Decided to throw one on my CRV a few months back. I've stacked an additional +1000 miles on the vehicle, bringing the grand total up to 30.5k now.

This specific catch can was made for the Honda Civic by Mishimoto. I took a bit of an educated risk buying it. I assumed that because the Civic & CRV are based on a similar platform and share a good amount of components between them, that the can would fit. Fortunately, it does. While it is only held in place with a single 10mm nut & a silicon spacer, it has shown no signs of moving yet. Remains solid.

Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive exterior Gas Automotive tire

Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive air manifold Hood Automotive design

Checked on it at approximately 300 miles just to ensure it wasn't filling up. Did not notice much of anything at that time. Screwed the body of the can back on tight, and here we are another 700 miles later, at the 1000 mile mark:

Automotive tire Gas Automotive wheel system Auto part Circle

Tire Automotive tire Wheel Motor vehicle Tread

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Headlamp Rim Gas

Truthfully: I'm impressed! I sent these photos to a family member who works for Honda, and they were impressed by the catch.
I'm going to leave what is inside the catch can in it for the time being, and report back at a higher mileage count - perhaps 3000.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Premium Member
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
10,703 Posts
Most Civic owners driving the 1.5Ts have completely dropped adding catch cans to this engine. They found by actual experiment that it is essentially not needed.

Same with cracking open the engine every 30-50K miles to pressure clean out carbon deposits.. as they rarely find any.

These small turbos from Honda are extremely clean and efficient and are a marvel of engineering by Honda.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts