Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2010 cr-v, front passenger. Doing a 4 wheel brake/rotor job. I was compressing the pistons to fit the caliper assembly back on, and yes, I didn't use a brake pad to press them both in at the same time. I used a compressor tool and just did the one on the R in the pic. Now the left one is over extended (it seems) and I can't get it back in. I opened the bleeder screw on that side to see if reducing the pressure would help, but it won't budge.

Would appreciate any tips on getting it back in there. If i've ruined it then i'm ok with rebuilding the assembly and I'll gladly take those tips as well.

Thanks in advance for the help, and apologies for the JV question. Side note: I searched the hell out of this and couldn't find anything.

Spharticus

piston.jpg

·
Registered
30 Posts
Remove the bleeder screw, remove the piston, coat it well with brake fluid and slowly twist it as you try to insert it. The seal will be a bit hard to insert, but that's the only way I have ever been able to install them.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I ended up wiggling the R piston back and forth, then used the caliper tool to push it back in. I replaced the seals and it took 2 people to get the piston back in, primarily to hold the seal open wide enough to slip the piston back in.

Lots of lessons learned doing these brakes.
- Make sure you use a old brake pad to push both pistons in.
- Don't bother bleeding any of the wheels before you have done either both or all 4, whatever your job is.
- Regardless of how good you think your memory is, take detailed pictures of the assembly at every step.
- go get Honda OEM brake fluid BEFORE you start
- Don't get a cheap a** impact driver at the place that rhymes with Marbor Greight. It failed immediately. I got the Craftsman impact and it immediately did what it was supposed to do
- Only thing that got those stupid phillips rotor screws off was putting a ball hammer end on the screw and smacking it hard with another hammer. Like 10 times. Then with the quality impact driver they came right out.
- for less than $2 each i went and got replacement phillips rotor screws, so I didn't care if the head was chewed up, I was able to replace them.
- One of the rear inspection rubber plugs was stuck and I ripped it taking it out of the old rotor. Honda wants (gets) $10 each for those so be careful lol.

Thanks for the comments!

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
A note of caution: You should never hit a hammer with another hammer. Either one or both could shatter with devastating results to your eyes if you're not wearing safety glasses.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts