Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 2006 LX 2WD just hit 100K miles. I've tracked all service/repair costs thru Honda's owner site since I purchased the CRV new.

Total service/maintenance costs: $4,547 ($1,322 of which was tires). This breaks down to ~ 4 1/2 cents per mile. No idea how that compares, but I've owned a lot of cars and my sense is this is by far the least amount I've spent on service and repairs during the first 100K (my Fit costs have been super low, but it only has ~45K on it so far.) I hope my 2012 CRV does as well.

"Repairs": A handful of headlight, tail light and interior bulbs. Replaced one sun visor. Hose-clamped rusty heat shield on exhaust; later removed entirely.
Breakdowns: Zero
Running/performance issues: Zero
Tires: 2 sets
Brakes: Front and rear each done once
Batteries: One
Valves: adjusted once
Spark plugs: replaced once, @ ~100K

The above are just a few selected items; I've obviously done more services, such as oil changes (18), etc.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
9,917 Posts
Doug,

That mirrors my experience. The Gen2 V is a VERY reliable car.

I use my remote fob a lot, so I have needed 4 batteries for my two fobs. (I use my "main" fob so much, the icons are worn off the LOCK and UNLOCK buttons.) Heehee.

Yes, tires have been the most costly item in ownership (both buying new, and rotation). Gasoline has been a big chunk of running costs also, averaging between $2000 and $2600 per year (25 to 30K miles).

Our V has 150K miles on it, presently. Our Fit has 108K.

I bet you don't include depreciation or insurance in your cost-per-mile figures? That is a big expense (part of doing business for me). Haven't looked up the Runzheimer figures for 2014 yet, but in 2013 the average costs per mile of all cars was $0.56/mile.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, I wasn't trying to determine full operating costs per mile; I was calculating maintenance/repair costs only. In addition to your data points, I think including purchase price financing costs and taxes/tags would get a true picture of exactly what it costs to run a car. But if we knew that, it'd be so scary we'd probably stop owing them. :)

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did include all fluid and filter costs in the total, I just didn't break them out separately in the summary.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
9,917 Posts
My oil filter (OEM) and oil (Synthetic) costs are not a significant factor in the cost of my upkeep.

I change oil two or three times a year and use Synthetic oil for "conservative" extended drains. My OCI are about 8 - 10 K miles (the same as the MM in our Fit calls for, and that MM is calibrated for Mineral oil).

For 2014 my oil change expense was ~ $200 USD. Gas was $2000. Tires were $800. Insurance was $1100. Other maintenance (including my first REAL needed repair, a clutch master cylinder) was $800.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I get cabin and engine air filters on ebay to save 50%+ and replace them myself. Fluid changes are only a bit more than cost for me to do them, so I pay Honda or Goodyear with a coupon and let them get dirty.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts