Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just discovered a surface split on the sidewalk of one of my tires. My CR-V has only a little under 13,000 miles so I'm not necessarily inclined to toss all 4 just yet - even if they are the Bridgestone Ecopians that came with the car. I think the split came from some bad tire contact issue that happened recently, although I have no evidence to prove that as I didn't check the tires at the time. In any case, would it be okay if I just replaced this one damaged guy, or is 13K of mixed highway and local driving too much wear on the tires for that to be good?

·
Registered
880 Posts
I assume you have AWD? Even fussy AWD makers like Subaru allow a tire tread depth difference of 2/32 inch. If a new tire would be that close to existing tire depth there should be no issue: keep it on the front even after rotations until wear is evened.

If it’s more than 2/32 inch, you may want to have a new tire “shaved” to the correct tread depth. TireRack, among others, will do this for a nominal fee. Certainly cheaper then buying an extra 3 new tires.

·
Super Moderator
1997, 2002, 2017 my expertese lies there
5,016 Posts
New to the front axle. skip rotation on the next it will be safe. if adding two both go to the front. or rear. and the rotation is done normal. see what others will say how they do theirs.

Been there done that... and have a chunk gone as well seems these stock tires are cr*p

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,905 Posts
If your CRV is AWD... and given that you do not have abnormal treadwear, the key point here is that you must replace a single tire with the same exact make and model of tire or you will have potential problems with your traction system and/or unusual tire noise and probably recurring TPMS issues as well. It's the price you pay for AWD.

At 13K, I would expect tread wear differences are not yet great enough to mean you need to buy a pair of matching tires, but you certainly will face an issue if you replace a single tire with a totally different make/model of tire. I found this out the hard way about 4 years ago when I had a sidewall puncture on one tire on my old 2008 CRV.

·
Super Moderator
1997, 2002, 2017 my expertese lies there
5,016 Posts
If what I said was not helpful compare it to the manual, if you need me to dig up the one tire where I got that, let me know and I will do it otherwise that is what we do.

RTFM: Page 156 starts out
http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs/QS/AH/ATLA1717OG/enu/ATLA1717OG.PDF

n Tire and Wheel Replacement
Replace your tires with radials of the same size, load range, speed rating, and
maximum cold tire pressure rating (as shown on the tire’s sidewall). Using tires of a
different size or construction can cause certain vehicle systems such as ABS and
Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA) to work incorrectly. It is best to replace all four tires at
the same time. If that isn’t possible, replace the front or rear tires in pairs.
If you change or replace a wheel, make sure that the wheel’s specifications match
those of the original wheels. Only use TPMS-specified wheels approved for your
vehicle.
Installing improper tires on your vehicle can affect handling and stability.
This can cause a crash in which you can be seriously hurt or killed.
Always use t

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes it's an AWD and yes of course I would replace it with the exact same make and model, even if it is a mediocre Ecopian

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,777 Posts
X2 on replacing 2 tires on the same axle.

Some folks have found that replacement tires (aftermarket) are different than OEM of the same brand & type. (Meaning: the OE fitment tires are a special construction and specification...usually due to rolling resistance & noise specifications.) So, doing them in pairs is always the Best Practice.

When our V was new we picked up a screw in the sidewall. I knew that no tire store would repair it, so I sealed the threads with RTV and ran it for another 20K miles, LOL.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@Carbuff2, just out of curiosity what RTV did you use?

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,777 Posts
That's a Professional Secret. Can't put the tire stores out of business, LOL.

But seriously,

It was just some RTV we had laying around the house (black, of course). That *******-repaired tire DID lose air faster than the others after that, and midway through the 20K miles I had to re-seal it. :beb:

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It’s the best thing that ever happened to you. The Bridgestone’s suck, replace them all with a better tire.
Oh, I know they suck, but at only 13K miles I'd rather not do that just yet if I don't have to. It appears to be a surface cut - not deep enough to cause any leaking.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Just do not buy Michelin Defender T/H tires very loud and getting louder with the more miles I drive, about 8K so far.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for letting me know. I typically use Michelins when I get rid of the stock tires.

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,905 Posts
Just do not buy Michelin Defender T/H tires very loud and getting louder with the more miles I drive, about 8K so far.
Interesting. I put Michelin Defender T/Hs on my CRVs and have years now. I find them to be quieter and better handling then any OEM tire on any of my CRVs. It's been my go to tire of choice for CRVs and Accords for years now.

I guess that is why we have different brands and models within brands for tires.... different needs/wants/issues. :)

The Hankooks that came with my 2017 are OK. Nothing special, also nothing terrible either. About average in my experience for an OEM tire on a CRV. I will say however that the Hankooks on my wifes 2018 Accord are probably the best OEM tire I have ever seen on a Honda.

·
Registered
454 Posts
If warranty doesn't cover the tire - just replace all 4 tires. I hate to say it but Bridgestone tires suck! I wish I would have replaced my tires on day 1.

I replaced mine in September time frame with Michelin Defender XLT (Costco's vision of LTX) and absolutely love them. They are not loud at all and they give me great traction through our awful winter this past year. I will only do Michelins and am pleased with these. I paid around $600 when Costco had penny installs.

They have the penny installs now also: https://tires.costco.com/Home

·
Registered
101 Posts
The TPMS system requires that all four tires be the same manufacturer, model, and treadwear. I’m not kidding – that’s what Honda America says. When I had a screw go into the sidewall of one of my Hancook’s, I replaced it with an identical General tire. The TPMS would never reset. I had to buy a fourth Hancook tire from the Honda dealer to get the TPMS system to work again. And Honda America told me that this is normal.

·
Registered
4 Posts
about tire plugs...

X2 on replacing 2 tires on the same axle.

Some folks have found that replacement tires (aftermarket) are different than OEM of the same brand & type. (Meaning: the OE fitment tires are a special construction and specification...usually due to rolling resistance & noise specifications.) So, doing them in pairs is always the Best Practice.

When our V was new we picked up a screw in the sidewall. I knew that no tire store would repair it, so I sealed the threads with RTV and ran it for another 20K miles, LOL.
If you find a screw or nail in a modern tire and you're not Joe Track Dude or Mary Track Lady, you can use Many old-timer type stores like NAPA still sell the push-in rope-and-sealant plug kits. Despite the bad press these sometimes get, I have put in about 6 of these over the years and never had a single problem. The little kits cost about $12, much cheaper than a new tire, and take about 2 minutes to push in. I've driven the car with a nail in it to NAPA, bought the little kit, and done it in the parking lot without losing more than about 4 lbs air pressure. Then drove it to the nearby gas station and filled it with air.

My install tips: Get the push-in bit of "rope" all ready before you pull out the nail or screw. Then (1) pull out the offending bit, (2) push in and out the little stubbly hole "cleaner" (roughs things up so the glue sticks better, I think), then (3) push in the rope "plug" about 1-1.5 inches. Pull out the push-in tool, which leaves the rope in, cut the rope off just above the surface of the tread, and give it time to set/dry according to directions. As noted I have driven on them immediately, below 35 mph, but I suspect that risks pushing it into the tire.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks @CRVhusband. I remember those kits well.

Is the general feeling that the Michelin Premier A/S is a better tire than the Defender? I've also read good things about the Pirelli Scorpion Verde and the Continental TrueContact Tour. Although on TireRack the Goodyear Weatherready seems to be the consumer favorite, for whatever that's worth.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Thanks @CRVhusband. I remember those kits well.

Is the general feeling that the Michelin Premier A/S is a better tire than the Defender? I've also read good things about the Pirelli Scorpion Verde and the Continental TrueContact Tour. Although on TireRack the Goodyear Weatherready seems to be the consumer favorite, for whatever that's worth.
I was going to buy the Premier but when I went to Costco the manger told me they had a lot of problems with the tire not lasting past 20K miles with excessive wear, recommend the Defender which did not go well as I noted.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes, @TLC1957, I did see your posts on this. Did Costco even have the Premiers? I'm wondering if they just talked up the Defenders because that's what they had.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts