Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I recently bought a used 2002 CRV with tires that are near the end of their life (4k more miles or so). I never realized till today that the current set is larger than what is recommended for the vehicle. Currently there are 17inch tires on the CRV and I don't really have any problem will driving; everything seems to be ok. As I was looking to replace tires I noticed that the owners manual recommends 15inch tires. I understand that my miles per gallon will be less and my speedometer my be off (I could be wrong on this) with the larger tires, my question would be is there any long term damage I should be concerned about that the 17inch tires could be doing to the vehicle? Everything seems to be stock/stock replacement on the suspension, would having these larger tires effect the stock suspense? Right now my car is used for everyday driving a maybe once a month driving on dirt roads, back country roads to go camping (nothing special, pot holes and such on those roads). Should I look at the replacing with 17inch tires or move done to the 15inch?

As always I greater appreciate the help

·
Registered
359 Posts
Wheel size has little to do with it.
Whether you have 17" or 15" doesn't affect your speedometer readings, it's the overall tire circumference (height) that governs this.

Handling and mileage can be a little different depending on wheel size, but there are pros and cons with going either way.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
12,154 Posts
First of all, LET'S SEE the wheels! (Or a link to another Topic) :love:

If your unpaved road is graded occasionally (no large rocks or ruts) you would probably be OK.

Just keep in mind that you have less sidewall to absorb impacts. Your ride would be less harsh on pavement with the 15s, too. I don't think the heavier wheels will negatively affect the life of the suspension. (Aftermarket struts & springs seem to make the Vs run worse, BTW)

If the overall diameter is close to the diameter of the original factory tires, your speedometer is not a worry. You can compare here (among other places):

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hahaha I love the enthusiasm on this! The tires are nothing special but attached is a photo! They seem to fit, the spare is pretty snug but it fits, and I like the stance. From online, the recommended tires just seem small compared to the vehicle but price is a big thing right now sooo the 15inch tires are looking nice lol.

The size of the tires right now is 225/65R17, the size the owner manual recommends is 205/70R15. I don't know much do those seem to be pretty close.
Land vehicle Alloy wheel Vehicle Car Tire
Land vehicle Alloy wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire
Black White Floor Architecture Tire

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
12,154 Posts
2" IS a big difference.

Is the spare the same 17" size? At least, the tire cover will not be wrinkled once you stretch it on. 😁

Be sure to buy 5 wheels 'cause you don't want to install such a different size in the event you get a flat tire...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey I know this thread is a few days old, but I'm new to this forum and I thought I'd add my 2 cents lol.

I bought a 1st gen CR-V about a year ago. It's my first automatic transmission car and my first CR-V. I've always driven lowered cars so the body roll drives me crazy. I've been thinking about getting coilovers and larger wheels to help with that.

The 17" wheels work fine as long as you get the right size. I work at an auto repair/tire shop so I have quite a few resources to figure out what fits and what doesn't. Almost all stock wheels from any Honda/Acura fit no problem. You can Google a tire size calculator and put in the stock tire size and kinda play with it until you find the right size. For the 17s the best size I've found it 215/55R17. It's the same overall diameter as the stock 205/70R15 and it still has good tires available. Hope that helps!

·
Premium Member
2,694 Posts
Should I look at the replacing with 17inch tires or move done to the 15inch?
If you like the 17s and they ride well without rubbing, I would stick with 17s. The post right above mine calculates a good size that will give you nearly the same circumference as the original 205/70R15 tires:

For the 17s the best size I've found it 215/55R17. It's the same overall diameter as the stock 205/70R15 and it still has good tires available.
The first and second generation CR-Vs used the same wheel and tire size. But I think the wheelwells might be slightly larger on the 2nd gen.

Reactions: mgwarren

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey I know this thread is a few days old, but I'm new to this forum and I thought I'd add my 2 cents lol.

I bought a 1st gen CR-V about a year ago. It's my first automatic transmission car and my first CR-V. I've always driven lowered cars so the body roll drives me crazy. I've been thinking about getting coilovers and larger wheels to help with that.

The 17" wheels work fine as long as you get the right size. I work at an auto repair/tire shop so I have quite a few resources to figure out what fits and what doesn't. Almost all stock wheels from any Honda/Acura fit no problem. You can Google a tire size calculator and put in the stock tire size and kinda play with it until you find the right size. For the 17s the best size I've found it 215/55R17. It's the same overall diameter as the stock 205/70R15 and it still has good tires available. Hope that helps!
I greatly appreciate it!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts