Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 03 2wd..its coming up on its 150k ...what should i do to tine it and whats a good up grade for the life of the motor? I have a KN intake about to go on.. Any suggestions on other performance parts i can add to give me a lil more power?..

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Im also the 2nd owner of this V.. I purchased this one from an 80 year old sweetheart that couldn't drive any more..its a 03. It had 27k on it when i started driving it and then bought it from her cause i absolutely love it!! Never had a Honda Car before..but i did have a GoldWing fully dressed Bike...at one time in my life...now..the car is at 148k ..havent had any major problems accept for a deer incident that buggered up the front end and pushed in the condenser and now my AC dont work but thats another fix..the car runs like a Champ..i drive alot..so i want to give her a full treatment with some upgrades and just experiment a lil with the motor and what is best for it..any suggestions will be held at the top of my list..thanks for letting me bore you with my silly questions..lol..yup im the new guy!!

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
1st of all welcome to the forum! I believe this gen uses 5w-20 oil. Be sure you change the oil on time as the timing chain is lubed by the engine oil. Check for the valve lash. Be sure when you do it. That the engine is cold. Change all of the fluids. Trans fluid, coolant , brake fluid, power steering fluid, check the drive belt if its still good. Check the spark plug's condition only use NGK or Denso. If you can use NGK. Cabin filter. Congratulations on your purchase!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1st of all welcome to the forum! I believe this gen uses 5w-20 oil. Be sure you change the oil on time as the timing chain is lubed by the engine oil. Check for the valve lash. Be sure when you do it. That the engine is cold. Change all of the fluids. Trans fluid, coolant , brake fluid, power steering fluid, check the drive belt if its still good. Check the spark plug's condition only use NGK or Denso. If you can use NGK. Cabin filter. Congratulations on your purchase!
Vehicle Car Engine
well i dropped the KN and replaced the plugs with NGK..new window visors..window wipers. tomorrow Fluid Flush ..TRANS.OIL..AND What is Valve lash????.. I build House's not Cars...lol...but i know enough to get my self in trouble...lol

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Adjusting the engine valve clearances is adjusting the valve lash.

Honda does not recommend "flushing" the transmission fluid.
If it's an automatic transmission you need to open the drain port and let as much fluid drain as possible, then refill it.
But that will only get about 1/3 of the fluid each time you do a drain-and-fill. So do the first drain-and-fill, drive it a few miles, then do a second drain-and-fill, drive it some more, and then do a third drain-and-fill.

If it's a manual transmission then just one drain and fill will take care of it.
Also if it's a manual you should replace the fluid in the master and slave cylinders for the clutch. The fluid is standard brake fluid.

And if you've never changed the brake fluid that needs to be done, too.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok..i didn't kno..about that..well thank you..i was just going to take it to a Jiffy lube and let them do it ..i dont have the place to work on it as far as that goes..lol..i think i m goi to do the motor mounts too..i replaced the upper left with a pos brand from the parts store..and it wasn't any improvement..so i got that going on too..i wanted to know what is the measurement on the bolt pattern..and are 17" wheels be to tight in the wells?? Just curious about that..it would probably take away the gpm??

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh and the breaks have been changed twice while ive owned it..but the fluid no it has it..i will do that also..i was going to upgrade to the slotted disc breaks and some decent calipers..and the exhaust system will be done down the road a bit...do you think changing the coil overs to a performance series will be a boost..?? Im not going to try this all at once..like i said i build houses not cars...

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
I would NOT left Jiffy Lube touch my CR-V.
Mainly because I doubt they are trained and certified mechanics, but mostly because they probably do not have the correct Honda fluid for your transmission.

If you don't have a place to do the work then take it to the Honda Dealer, or find a shop that specializes in Hondas.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.