Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, 24k mile later, and the OEM Bridgestone ecopias are almost at the wear bars. Don't know if it's the CRV eating tires, or the tires themselves, as I've read both are suspect. Anyways, that's not my interest. What I looking for is balance and or concentricity info regarding the EX aluminum wheel low point markings. This is what I have so far:

I can still see the red "runout" dot on the OEM tires. The red dots ARE NOT aligned with the wheel valve stems. I don't see any wheel markings in the vicinity of the red dot of the tires.

I can not see any trace of a yellow "balance dots" on my old tires. I don't have any photos of the car when it was new to reference for yellow dot locations.

My new unmounted tires have the yellow dots and the red dots. 80% of literature says red takes precedence over yellow when red dots are present, but some newer information says, turned aluminum rims are so true that you should actually ignore the red dot on newer aluminum rims. There is also mention that the valve stem is not at the low point anymore on turned alloy rims. Checking theses Honda EX wheels, you can see the valve stem is in the exact same spot on each wheel, so the stem hole is placed for aesthetics looking location, not for the wheel's circular low point. So...

1) Does anyone still have OEM tires with yellow dots visible, or pictures of their cars showing if Honda mounted the tires with a yellow dot toward the valve stem?

2) Does anyone know if there exists a low point mark or sticker ( should be white) on the wheels, that I have not seen?

Please don't respond , that it doesn't matter, or I'm overthinking it. It only takes the installer a couple seconds to get it right, and I find the science interesting.
If there never was a yellow dot on these, then it would appear Honda didn't align the red dots with anything? I could either mark my rims with a piece of tape where the OEM red dots were, assuming Honda knew a reason to put the red dot at that spot, or I can tell them to locate either the yellow or red with the valve stem..... Flip a coin on what latest report you read related to alloy wheels, and the red/yellow debate ;-)

Thanks!

·
Registered
196 Posts
I cant comment on the red/yellow stoplight markers. However, my last five new vehicles have all needed new tires between 20 and 40k miles, even with religious tire rotations.
So, it doesn't surprise me that your vehicle needs new tires.

If you area likes to use chip seal resurfacing, this is like driving on sandpaper.

·
Registered
2019 CR-V EX
789 Posts
I generally pay close attention to details and I cannot say that I ever saw yellow dots on '19 EX. The red dots are clearly visible at 4300 miles.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Still have our OE Hankooks (29 mos, 15K miles) now mounted on aftermarket rims. Haven’t measured tread depth, but they still look new (rotated this afternoon). I don’t remember yellow dots.?‍♂The red dots are still easily visible and no 2 tires have the red dot in the same position, relative to the valve stem. I see no markings on the aftermarket or OE rims, regarding a low mark.?‍♂ Maybe manufacturing tolerances (tires/wheels) have gotten closer over the years. If there is no shimmy at speed, I guess where the dots are and amount of run-out become a moot point.

FWIW, my aftermarket rims did not come with hub-centric rings.......I was later told “they should have”. They sent me the rings thru the mail....no charge. The rings fit nicely in the glove box and still remain there. The OE Hankooks on American Racing rims run smooth as silk on our V without the hub-centric rings.

Reactions: williamsji

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That’s the odd thing. They should have put the red dot to the valve stem as everything I’ve red points to the valve stem weighing more than the little hole of aluminum that was removed, making it the probable heavy spot of the wheel. I’m surprised no one working at a garage changing out these OEM tires has chimed in with an observation.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
I'm thinking 99/100 modern day tire/wheel combos will balance perfectly fine, regardless of where the red/yellow dot in located in relationship to the valve stem. That goober may know about red/yellow dots, but he's clueless when it comes to not scratching the wheel finish.

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,882 Posts
The video does a good job of explaining what the original poster was seeking.

That said... there are a few things that negate the nuance of placing the dot in alignment with the valve stem in my view:

1) is assumes the alloy wheel itself is perfectly balanced.. and they generally are not. They will have small imperfections that can easily exceed the weight of the valve stem, though these can be cancelled out at the factory with metal weights adhered to the wheel before a tire is applied AND doing so is a prudent design practice.

2) As noted by the mechanic in the video, he also cleans off any dirt or grime off the alloy wheel as well.. and I doubt many tire shops even bother with that unless it is really extreme (ie: notable mud packed into the wheels inside surface, in which case the wheel was already out of balance and probably would have created imbalance vibrations). This may be a thing in a few states famous for clay mud getting itself packed into the inside a a wheel when driving on unimproved road.

3) the sole purpose, as explained by the mechanic in the video is that aligning dot to valve stem is to reduce the number, and location, of weights to be added to the wheel for making balance true. Again.. I doubt many tire shops really care... and simply rely on their balance machine to properly evaluate and then report what weight and where.

It's interesting information, and is perhaps more important for some applications (such as high speed driving) .. but not for consumer road driving. It kind of falls into the category of the "old days" of precision mechanics also doing "trimming" on tires before mounting them.... interesting.. and novel.. but very much in the "diminishing returns" category of importance and not for general consumer needs.

·
Registered
2019 CR-V EX
789 Posts
The red dots (no yellow dots on any) on all four of my tires are near the valve stems, but at least one is about 1/4 of a turn away. None of the red dots are aligned with the valve stems, though.

Do the tires move (slip) on the rim under hard acceleration and hard braking?

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
I doubt the tires slip on the rim on a street driven vehicle......if they did, the tire/wheel would constantly be going "out of balance" and you would be making numerous trips to your tire shop for re-balancing, to get rid of the shimmy/vibration.

Reactions: williamsji
1 - 12 of 12 Posts