Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
USAA insurance. Called for replacement, no problem. Was expecting Safelite but they directed me to a local installer as he has the static calibration machine there..
Insurance wouldn't cover OEM glass unless I want to shell out $300 so I went with their recommended glass...checked it out before install,looks identical to Honda glass.

So far all is well, all the cameras or whatever are working.USAA picked up the entire tab $1084.87... $425 of that total was for static calibration..

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,572 Posts
Now days.. there are few actual glass manufacturers (big glass companies have driven all the smaller glass makers out of business) ... so it is very likely that your after market glass came from the same production line as the OEM glass Honda orders.. particularly glass like front windshields that have the camera, sensor, and mirror mounts precision placed at the factories.

Honda uses a lot of glass from Pilkington and Fuyao in their North America factories. What manufacturer is the replacement glass for your replacement?

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
4,070 Posts
There are very few glass manufacturers. They sell the glass with and without the original car companies name on it.

Reactions: williamsji

·
Super Moderator
7,572 Posts
PPG is the supplier for Canadian built CRV's
I have a Canadian factory built CRV.. and the OEM glass was Pilkington for the windshield and Fuyao for all the other windows. :) After my windshield was replaced... it is now Fuyao glass all around. The replacement windshield is actually a bit better then the original in terms of clarity of vision (absence of tempering distortions).

Mine was assembled in June of 2017.

·
Super Moderator
7,572 Posts
Yeeeeeeeiks! Over a K for a windshield? What is the static calibration all about?
Personally, after inspecting the glass (particularly the camera mount struture) before the Safelite tech installed it, I chose to do a complete local and freeway road test after my windshield was replaced, to check and confirm all the sensing systems were working the same as before the glass was replaced. Results showed no anomalies... so I skipped taking it to the dealer for static calibration check and adjust. Saved me some time, and the insurance company some money.

That said.. if you are not comfortable with road testing after the glass is changed out.. then best to get the calibration done just to be sure. But if the glass is installed correctly and produced to Honda specs (even though it is not OEM)... chances are small that there is an issue requiring calibration. On the other hand, if the windshield is not installed properly... all bets are off.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a Canadian factory built CRV.. and the OEM glass was Pilkington for the windshield and Fuyao for all the other windows. :) After my windshield was replaced... it is now Fuyao glass all around. The replacement windshield is actually a bit better then the original in terms of clarity of vision (absence of tempering distortions).

Mine was assembled in June of 2017.
Weird, mine say PPG ?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Personally, after inspecting the glass (particularly the camera mount struture) before the Safelite tech installed it, I chose to do a complete local and freeway road test after my windshield was replaced, to check and confirm all the sensing systems were working the same as before the glass was replaced. Results showed no anomalies... so I skipped taking it to the dealer for static calibration check and adjust. Saved me some time, and the insurance company some money.

That said.. if you are not comfortable with road testing after the glass is changed out.. then best to get the calibration done just to be sure. But if the glass is installed correctly and produced to Honda specs (even though it is not OEM)... chances are small that there is an issue requiring calibration. On the other hand, if the windshield is not installed properly... all bets are off.
As a collision repair shop, we are "required' to recalibrate the systems any time the cameras and or sensors are removed and any time the windshield is replaced. The calibration is not as easy as driving down the road, the calibration is very similar to aiming the satellite for your TV.
With the tool plugged in you (via the diagnostic computer) tap the camera and sensors into a predetermined spec.

·
Super Moderator
7,572 Posts
As a collision repair shop, we are "required' to recalibrate the systems any time the cameras and or sensors are removed and any time the windshield is replaced. The calibration is not as easy as driving down the road, the calibration is very similar to aiming the satellite for your TV.
With the tool plugged in you (via the diagnostic computer) tap the camera and sensors into a predetermined spec.
I understand from a liability standpoint.. a collision repair shop would be required to do so. Especially for the millimeter radar systems and sensors.

And for multi-camera systems.. I agree with you that they very likely need a calibration check and verification at a minimum because they are in fact being used for more precision purposes then HondaSensings single windshield camera.

HondaSensing though uses a very basic single camera approach and it's actual uses are very straightforward and known to the owner, and as such it is easy to test and confirm the systems are working with a road test by the owner (not the repair shop.. again for liability reasons). The camera actually locks into place on a factory preinstalled and calibrated mount attached to the windshield. That said.. if any quirks or misbehaviors are detected by a road test... the owner needs to have a qualified shop do a recalibration. The critical safety systems in Honda Sensing actually rely on the millimeter radar assembly in the front grill as the primary system for things like CMBS. The camera is primarily for lane keeping assist, lane departure warning, and as co-function sensor for the millimeter radar for ACC functions.

By the way.. Honda's position on this is that only Honda dealers are qualified to do calibration checks and adjustments on the radar, sensors, and camera.... just like they also claim that only Honda OEM glass will suffice. I disagree with Honda on both counts, but again.. this is a liability position for Honda.

Note: I am neither advocating for or against recalibration after a windshield replacement. Glass shops are required to inform the owner that calibration may be required and in some cases offer to do calibration. Every owner must decide that for themselves. I am simply providing my experience and advice for other owners to consider when getting a windshield replacement. Given the number of owners here who are very comfortable doing modifications, maintenance, and repair on their CRVs here... the ability to do a proper road test after a windshield replacement is well within owner capabilities.

If as owners, we rely only on Honda's position on the question... they would tell every owner to only use OEM glass from a Honda Dealer, perform a calibration check after install and only use a Honda Dealer for the replacement and calibration. Which is laughable in my view, since most Honda dealers outsource the work to the local Safelite, or equivalent glass service shop, these days.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
windshield says Vitro..searched, they are the largest auto glass manufacturer in US, bought out PPG, etc..I dunno windshield is ecellent quality, no visible flaws from drivers seat..USAA picked up the bill and IM happy.

·
Super Moderator
7,572 Posts
windshield says Vitro..searched, they are the largest auto glass manufacturer in US, bought out PPG, etc..I dunno windshield is ecellent quality, no visible flaws from drivers seat..USAA picked up the bill and IM happy.
Yeah.. Vitro also acquired PGW as well, and are major OEM suppliers to North America auto companies now days. They basically bought their way directly into the OEM auto glass market in the US and Canada with these moves, saving them from having to expand organically. Getting hard to keep track of all the name changes as the market heavily consolidates.

All this consolidation in auto glass is probably good for consumers overall.. because it removes all but the biggest, most capitalized producers from the market, and these smaller number of big players in the market produce both OEM and aftermarket glass. It a capital intensive industry now days with the increasing need for more precision, and various equipment mount requirements on new vehicles. Economies of scale dictate that they run both OEM and aftermarket on the same product lines... which is a win for consumers as it drives down the price of glass overall.

·
Registered
9 Posts
USAA insurance. Called for replacement, no problem. Was expecting Safelite but they directed me to a local installer as he has the static calibration machine there..
Insurance wouldn't cover OEM glass unless I want to shell out $300 so I went with their recommended glass...checked it out before install,looks identical to Honda glass.

So far all is well, all the cameras or whatever are working.USAA picked up the entire tab $1084.87... $425 of that total was for static calibration..
I have had to replace two windshield on my 2017 CRV (due to cracks caused by pebbles on the road when we lived in Memphis). Both times the glass shop ordered Honda windshields. In 2017 the Honda windshield cost $683 and in 2018 the same windshield cost $838. I took it to the same place both times and I just now realized that the price had gone up when I looked thorough my emails. The first time, I did not take my Honda for recalibration since everything seemed to work just fine. The second time, I had some time and I took my car to the Honda dealership and they did the recalibration for free.

·
Registered
16 Posts

Yep... agree 100%

I had my windshield replaced with Pilkington glass by a local shop. Which, aside for the logo, seemed to be identical in all ways to my OEM Honda glass. I skipped calibration as well. Prior to the replacement, I had an issue which I assumed to be normal, where the ACC and LKAS would lose tracking in cold and humid conditions (assuming that the sensor got fogged up). After my replacement I find it far less sensitive that to...

I think anyone who chooses to replace their windshield with USA made glass and has a highly rated shop do the replacement, they'll have a good chance of not needing the re-calibration.... IMHO.

·
Registered
32 Posts

I believe you can insist on OEM glass for the car if it has driver assist features. It's a safety issue. I doubt they can charge you more than the deductible.

·
Registered
218 Posts

Welcome to the CRV cracked windshield club! :)

I'm on my 3rd windshield on my 9 month old 2018 CRV - and I'm driving the same roads I've driven for 30+ years with only 2 cracked windshields across all my other cars during those years. In any event. I have Farmers insurance and used Safelite who replaced with OEM Pilkington glass and did the recalibration at time of install. I paid my $100 deductible and was out of there in about 90 minute both times.

Bottom line - anybody who owns a GEN 5 CRV should double check to make sure they have excellent glass coverage because these OEM windshields are about $1,100 to replace!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yep... agree 100%

I had my windshield replaced with Pilkington glass by a local shop. Which, aside for the logo, seemed to be identical in all ways to my OEM Honda glass. I skipped calibration as well. Prior to the replacement, I had an issue which I assumed to be normal, where the ACC and LKAS would lose tracking in cold and humid conditions (assuming that the sensor got fogged up). After my replacement I find it far less sensitive that to...

I think anyone who chooses to replace their windshield with USA made glass and has a highly rated shop do the replacement, they'll have a good chance of not needing the re-calibration.... IMHO.
Sorry to Butt in but I have a 2005 CR-V and wondering if it is a Gen 5 as you stated in stream. I have some rock chips but no cracks yet to replace windshield. It does have a box in middle of windshield which I never knew what it was till reading this thread. it is my 1st CR-V and enjoy these Readings for educating my old mind. Thanks

·
Registered
218 Posts
Sorry to Butt in but I have a 2005 CR-V and wondering if it is a Gen 5 as you stated in stream. I have some rock chips but no cracks yet to replace windshield. It does have a box in middle of windshield which I never knew what it was till reading this thread. it is my 1st CR-V and enjoy these Readings for educating my old mind. Thanks
Gen 5 CRVs started with 2017. I don't believe your 2005 has the active safety sensors (that were referred to in this thread) that typically need to be recalibrated when replacing a windshield.

If your CRV has automatic windshield wipers (rain sensing) that may be what your "box" is for. Maybe another 2005 CRV owner will know.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.