Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WELL after trading in my 2017 CRV EX on 2017 RAV4 ADVERTURE and now also owning a 2019 RAV4 XLE PREMEUMIM here are some opinions on the three, keep in mind I have driven these each between 4000 and 15000 miles each, these are not just test drives.

Now for some comparisons

Cost I paid about $1000 more for my 18 rav and about $6000 more for my 19 rav than I did the 17 crv.

Exterior fit and finish

The crv buy far has the worst exterior fit and finish, both the 18 and 19 rav’s are much better with no huge gaps or misaligned panels, finish on all 3 good with no issues.

Interior layout and infotainment

CRV layout very nice everything stayed where I left it has carplay and AA I liked the overall design didn’t care for sliding armrest.

18 RAV layout buttons all over the place not everything stays where I left it no carplay no AA dated appearance, does seem to use nicer overall materials throughout interior than crv.

19 layout very nice most modern looking of the 3 everything placed nicely, still have to turn cc on every time after shutting off, I like how the crv just stays where I left it.
Has carplay but no AA, android is able to talk text over Bluetooth and listen to maps over Bluetooth. Has the nicest interior materials of the 3.

MPG

CRV I averaged about 34 mpg over just less than a year I believe

18 RAV I average about 30.5 mpg in about 7 months

19 RAV I am averaging about 32 mpg in about 4 month mostly cold weather

Saftey equipment

CRV, I had the whole system go out several times for no apparent reasons, the driver side blind spot sensor was not reliable would go on for no reasons also. Overall just unreliable.

18 RAV4, system has never gone out works as it should no problems, lane keep doesn’t feel as advanced as the crv and wonders more.

19 RAV4, so far system seems reliable and just as advance as the crv but also has road sign assist which is nice, full backup safety and parking sensors so it has more safety systems offered that actually work as advertised.

Options

CRV, comes nicely equipped

2018 RAV4, comes with heated steering wheel and heated wiper area.

2019 RAV4 , comes with heated steering wheel and heated wiper area, digital rearview mirror, wireless charging, memory seats, power liftgate, homelink, LED exterior lighting, 800 WATT JBL 11 speaker sound system, much nicer wheel options.

Driving experience

CRV, nice ride quality softest ride of the three, quiet interior little wind and engine noise had a interior rattle on passenger side when cold, most interior space of the three felt very comfortable. CVT and turbo lag I never really cared for seat of pants fell. Winter time major heating issues.

2018 RAV4, not as nice of a ride a crv little firmer, quiet interior little wind and engine noise no interior rattles with plenty of interior space and is also very comfortable, excellent heating and cooling system. Seems the most nimble driving around town fo the 3.

2019 RAV4, Ride seems stiff not harsh but stiffer than the 18, interior has the most engine and wind noise of the three especially when engine is cold I would say very noisy. NO rattles, could use more space in certain areas but still very conformable seating.
The 8 speed tranny shifts very smooth and quick but I prefer the 6 speed in the 18 rav4 overall. The 19 also has a very good heating system and haven’t got a chance to check out the cooling system yet.

·
Registered
152 Posts
:eek:
Update 5-2-2019 7:30pm PDT; ddot, I just looked at your profile-posts, which I swear I thought I had done before posting 4-29, and saw (or thought I saw) almost daily posting regarding OD or any other negative on the CRV. When you posted above, it had been over 6 months since your last post. I must have been looking at a different members posts. I apologize for my response, and for the responses that elicited. Please give 'em all a mulligan for responses on this thread, ok? Sorry again for stirring the pot. If I knew then what I know now, the only comment I would have is a sliding armrest would be something I prefer, not dislike. Peace.
removing body of original post.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
ddot, very thoughtful post. You posted to the Crv Owners Club instead of Rav4 Owners Club Forum. Silly mistake, totally understandable.
In the last Month, I helped a family member shop for their first small SUV. I steered them to 19' Lunar Rock Rav4 XLE Premium AWD w/convenience pkg. I didn't go on the test drive. They're not "car guys", but it's gonna be their car, so I kept quiet. They were favorably impressed for sure. Next up was 19' Dark Olive Metallic CRV EX AWD. Ended up with that one. 40-50% of decision was price. 20% first year model jitters, 30-40% poor online and video reviews. Although the KBB dot com review was very compelling FOR the Rav. But that was for the $40,000 + trim. Which is unfortunately too common in reviews for most manufacturers. Honda was $1,500-1,750 cheaper. They had good credit but a smaller down payment. I do think the Rav is better looking. I hope I'm posting this to Crv Owner Club Forum...:Hmmmmm:
99% of users buy a new car and move to the new forum
Not ddot lol, hes posted here more since trading in his crv lol
He sounds like a hurt ex gf!

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ddot, very thoughtful post. You posted to the Crv Owners Club instead of Rav4 Owners Club Forum. Silly mistake, totally understandable.
In the last Month, I helped a family member shop for their first small SUV. I steered them to 19' Lunar Rock Rav4 XLE Premium AWD w/convenience pkg. I didn't go on the test drive. They're not "car guys", but it's gonna be their car, so I kept quiet. They were favorably impressed for sure. Next up was 19' Dark Olive Metallic CRV EX AWD. Ended up with that one. 40-50% of decision was price. 20% first year model jitters, 30-40% poor online and video reviews. Although the KBB dot com review was very compelling FOR the Rav. But that was for the $40,000 + trim. Which is unfortunately too common in reviews for most manufacturers. Honda was $1,500-1,750 cheaper. They had good credit but a smaller down payment. I do think the Rav is better looking. I hope I'm posting this to Crv Owner Club Forum...:Hmmmmm:
There has been plenty talk on this site about the 19 rav4 so I thought I would give an everyday driver opinion of it, rather than by people getting pay to say this or that.

Hopefully it will be trouble free and very reliable for me, I had my share of problems with my crv and don’t miss it at all.

With that said it was still a very well thought out vehicle that got great mpg.

I don’t know if the 19 rav4 will be able to get quite as good of mpg only time will tell.

I also looked at the 2019 Mazda CX5 grand touring reserve, didn’t care for the interior layout or the lack of cargo space but liked everything else about it.

I also really like the fact that Toyota uses both port and direct injection system to fight off the dirty valve issues that DI seems to create.

I almost bought the CX5, but after never owning a Mazda I just didn’t want to chance it like I did when I bought my first Honda the 2017 CRV,so I asked myself should I or shouldn't I and I decided to stick with has work out for me in the past.

I do like my 19 rav but still wonder and will watch to see how the Mazda 2.5 turbo does over time, it was a nice quiet ride with far more power than either the 19 rav or the 1.5 turbo crv which I like.

Yes you’re probably right I should post this on the rav4 forum also.

Thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
What I want to know is why wouldn't you pay the small premium and get the hybrid RAV4? Seems like a no-brainer to me, but perhaps I'm missing something?

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What I want to know is why wouldn't you pay the small premium and get the hybrid RAV4? Seems like a no-brainer to me, but perhaps I'm missing something?
I thought about it quite a bit and here’s why thanks for asking.

First, it is unknown territory for me.

Second, I believe the E-awd system is not as good as the mechanical one and I live in a snowy area.

Third, I don’t do much city driving or much driving below 45 so I don’t think the hybrid would benefit me all that much in the end.

That’s why

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
that is his 2020 dream. great to hear your excellent outcome. glad there was no OD talk

·
Registered
841 Posts
Yes you’re probably right I should post this on the rav4 forum also.

Thanks.
WOW.

Just, WOW.

...I guess I'll join the RAV-4 Owners group and share my recollections of driving my Mother In Laws '16 RAV-4 last week and compare it to our '18 CR-V Touring.

Later I will reflect amongst the caterwauling that I should post to the CR-V forum.

- I WILL BE LOVED AND ADORED BY THE RAV-4 OWNERS FOR MY BRUTAL HONESTY! (honestly, it's NOT dislike of RAV-4's on my part!) -

Unfortunately I lack your hutzpah ddot, almost everyone in the world who is not a psychopath does, IMHO.

Rock on in your new Toyota!

Don't let the door hit you in your RAVenous tailgate as you head to the egress...

Pity you do not own a Chevy Silverado or Toyota Tacoma so you can 'inform us' as to how horrible the Honda Ridgeline is...

We can be thankful for that.

·
Registered
210 Posts
WOW.

Just, WOW.

...I guess I'll join the RAV-4 Owners group and share my recollections of driving my Mother In Laws '16 RAV-4 last week and compare it to our '18 CR-V Touring.

Later I will reflect amongst the caterwauling that I should post to the CR-V forum.

- I WILL BE LOVED AND ADORED BY THE RAV-4 OWNERS FOR MY BRUTAL HONESTY! (honestly, it's NOT dislike of RAV-4's on my part!) -

Unfortunately I lack your hutzpah ddot, almost everyone in the world who is not a psychopath does, IMHO.

Don't let the door hit you in your RAVenous tailgate as you head to the egress...

Pity you do not own a Chevy Silverado or Toyota Tacoma so you can 'inform us' as to how horrible the Honda Ridgeline is...

I would call this a bit of an overreaction. Chill

·
Registered
178 Posts
Hi ddot. Thanks for your different vehicle comparisons (from your eyes). Like ice cream, some folks love one specific flavor and other folks love a different flavor. And, one doesn't like it when you say the other flavor is better. Thanks for sharing what is good and bad in each vehicle from your eyes.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Hi ddot. Thanks for your different vehicle comparisons (from your eyes). Like ice cream, some folks love one specific flavor and other folks love a different flavor. And, one doesn't like it when you say the other flavor is better. Thanks for sharing what is good and bad in each vehicle from your eyes.
I think the 2018 Rav4 is a fine vehicle. The 2019.. not so much. Not just the bad reviews from Consumer Reports on the 2019.. I have a neighbor who has one and he does not like the way the engine and transmission behave at all and is lamenting how such a new design could be so noisy from wind and engine. He is a long time Rav4 owner.. and is quite disappointed with the 2019 after driving it for a couple months ... but said he will get over it. He actually envys me with my CRV right now.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
I agree with RockyMtnCRV; ddot needs to move onnnnn, we are happy for you ddot :)
I agree. He found what he likes and is happy.. .. which at the end of the is all that matters. So more power to him. But to continue to post here could begin to feel a bit trollish since he has ditched his CRV. :)

Sadly.. probably only a matter of time before this thread gets the usual dip-dunking and forces a Mod to close it.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
WOW.

Just, WOW.

Actually I do own a GMC SIERRA, good thing is the Honda Ridgeline is not in the same category, so I guess you would be able to give me such a nice reply again.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
99% of users buy a new car and move to the new forum
Not ddot lol, hes posted here more since trading in his crv lol
He sounds like a hurt ex gf!
We have about five guys on here that have moved on to other vehicles because they hated their CR-V and yet they still come here! I could understand if you loved the CRV and then sold it for other reasons, but if you don't like a vehicle why keep on talking about it? I have had ex gf's that I dumped and yet I talked less about them a week later than these guys do about CR-Vs that they sold months ago.:confused2:

·
Registered
326 Posts
DDOT, thanks for the update. Actually your review is pretty consistent with CR and other reviewers. It has some warts, but so does the CR-V. Cough...Cough. LOL

Not sure why some feel so threaten by having an ex-R-V owner post. I thank it is very helpful. I have a friend that has already dumped her 2017 CR-V. Other ffiends will not even consider it because of my concerns/issues and lack of Honda support. I am considering dumping it also. I doubt you, my friend and myself are not the only ones strongly considering dumping,.

Thanks again and keep "us" update on your new journey.

·
Registered
210 Posts
DDOT, thanks for the update. Actually your review is pretty consistent with CR and other reviewers. It has some warts, but so does the CR-V. Cough...Cough. LOL

Not sure why some feel so threaten by having an ex-R-V owner post. I thank it is very helpful. I have a friend that has already dumped her 2017 CR-V. Other ffiends will not even consider it because of my concerns/issues and lack of Honda support. I am considering dumping it also. I doubt you, my friend and myself are not the only ones strongly considering dumping,.

Thanks again and keep "us" update on your new journey.
I agree its nice to get a perspective on the RAV4 and how it compares to the CRV from someone who has owned both. Here in WI I haven't seen many of the 2019 RAV4's however in the last 3 days I have seen three and one of those is a replacement for the previous generation body style. Its starting to grow on me.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Not everyone who looks at or is a member of this CRV forum owns one.

Some people actually look and read about before they make a purchase, and like checking out what current and former owners think about a vehicle they are interested in.

I personally like to see comparisons to the competition and what they have to offer for better or worse, we all know most reviewers are getting their pockets filled by one manufacture or another so I prefer personal experience over the so called pros.

I gave an honest review of the current gen CRV to the last year of the last gen and current gen RAV4. I think after driving each one for as long as I did, I have a good feels for each and gave my opinion on the pros and cons of each without ever bringing up the dreaded potential number one reason not to buy the CRV cause that can be found anywhere and I did not mention reliability for a reason. (didn't want to upset the fanboys)

A handful of members on this site along with the mods are so biased towards the CRV it is sickening, I have never seen so many threads closed and or move on any other site that I have ever frequent. They think the CRV is perfect and the best out there in every why and won’t let anyone say different.

If this was the only other thread comparing the CRV to something else in the 2017 – Present section I could see why it was moved here but that’s not the case and once again the mods strike and hide it from potential future buyer why? What are you so worried about.

Most of the member here are good respectable resources looking to help out others learn something together about their new rides and plain and simple just bull**** together, but the loyalist have really screwed that up and just jump on anyone that finds any fault with their beliefs.

I hope when I am looking at my next purchase which hopefully won’t be for quite some time the forum I use is much more transparent than this site and is actually trying to help people make an educated decision and not hide issues.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Not everyone who looks at or is a member of this CRV forum owns one.

Some people actually look and read about before they make a purchase, and like checking out what current and former owners think about a vehicle they are interested in.

I personally like to see comparisons to the competition and what they have to offer for better or worse, we all know most reviewers are getting their pockets filled by one manufacture or another so I prefer personal experience over the so called pros.

I gave an honest review of the current gen CRV to the last year of the last gen and current gen RAV4. I think after driving each one for as long as I did, I have a good feels for each and gave my opinion on the pros and cons of each without ever bringing up the dreaded potential number one reason not to buy the CRV cause that can be found anywhere and I did not mention reliability for a reason. (didn't want to upset the fanboys)

A handful of members on this site along with the mods are so biased towards the CRV it is sickening, I have never seen so many threads closed and or move on any other site that I have ever frequent. They think the CRV is perfect and the best out there in every why and won’t let anyone say different.

If this was the only other thread comparing the CRV to something else in the 2017 – Present section I could see why it was moved here but that’s not the case and once again the mods strike and hide it from potential future buyer why? What are you so worried about.

Most of the member here are good respectable resources looking to help out others learn something together about their new rides and plain and simple just bull**** together, but the loyalist have really screwed that up and just jump on anyone that finds any fault with their beliefs.

I hope when I am looking at my next purchase which hopefully won’t be for quite some time the forum I use is much more transparent than this site and is actually trying to help people make an educated decision and not hide issues.
Clearly you just cannot depart nor shut up.

Fine then, let's ask ddot some fun questions:

1) How many windows do you have that are south facing? Are they covered in the summer to keep down solar gain?

2) What is your favorite movie and is it the one currently in your VCR?

3) Yes or No: Are the people following you trying to kill you?

4) What are you hoping to receive for Mothers Day?

Pity about you having a crappy truck, too...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts