Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody, I'm new here so I apologize if this has been covered. I searched but didn't find my question. When I back down my driveway, a slight slope, my brakes squawl. Is that even a word? Not a squeal but a deeper sound. I don't notice it on flat ground. Is this normal? Thanks, JWC

·
Everything in Moderation
8,064 Posts
Sure, it COULD be normal...certainly not a worrisome issue long as your pads wear evenly.

You might be able to eliminate the noise by doing a 'brake service' that many folks in northern climates perform.

That consists of removing the calipers and verifying that the pads are 'falling out' loose in their stainless steel edge guides. Road salt can corrode the caliper metal UNDER the SS guides so apply some brake grease to those surfaces.
Also, you should remove, clean, and pack the caliper slider pins with Brake Grease.

Post back with results.

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Over at the RAV4 forum they’ll tell you to just turn the radio up.😱

·
Registered
173 Posts
Hey everybody, I'm new here so I apologize if this has been covered. I searched but didn't find my question. When I back down my driveway, a slight slope, my brakes squawl. Is that even a word? Not a squeal but a deeper sound. I don't notice it on flat ground. Is this normal? Thanks, JWC
Do they do this every time whether your V is warmed up or cold?

How about backing up your drive way and then the next time you leave, see if going down in a forward direction at back-up speed causes the "squawl".

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sure, it COULD be normal...certainly not a worrisome issue long as your pads wear evenly.

You might be able to eliminate the noise by doing a 'brake service' that many folks in northern climates perform.

That consists of removing the calipers and verifying that the pads are 'falling out' loose in their stainless steel edge guides. Road salt can corrode the caliper metal UNDER the SS guides so apply some brake grease to those surfaces.
Also, you should remove, clean, and pack the caliper slider pins with Brake Grease.

Post back with results.
I forgot to mention the car only has 6,800 miles on it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responses. I realized that I forgot to mention the car only has 6,800 miles on it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do they do this every time whether your V is warmed up or cold?

How about backing up your drive way and then the next time you leave, see if going down in a forward direction at back-up speed causes the "squawl".
I'm going to try this today.

·
Everything in Moderation
8,064 Posts
Thanks for the responses. I realized that I forgot to mention the car only has 6,800 miles on it.
Infrequent usage can allow corrosion to build up rapidly. Short trips don't help either, as the rear brakes don't warm up very much normally (the fronts do most of the work).

At 6800 miles you are encouraged to bring the car to the dealer, they SHOULD be familiar with the issues & fixes reported above, and can take the appropriate action. Better to have it looked at now, than have a binding pad require a premature pad replacement (and yeah, you might be on the hook for repair cost in that case).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts