Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man, it's bad. I may be a bit anal but come on! It can't be fixed without drilling an additional hole 5mm above the current one and wrecking my bumper or just making one giant hole that would only make the situation worse. My gf says I just need to accept it but I see it every day and it raises my blood pressure. The only reason she told me to accept it is because she doesn't want me stressing, not because she cares about the way it looks. It looks horrible.

Aside from that, is anybody else having an issue when decelerating to a complete stop the transmission "let's go" and and the RPMs nearly stall? Then it "catches" just before stall and the RPMs jump a bit too high before leveling off at idle. The whole event can be felt throughout the car too. This is my first CVT so I don't know how they typically behave.

Thanks everyone

·
Registered
161 Posts
How bad is it, can you please post a picture?

If you're that anal then drill another hole to get it straight and buy a license plate frame hoping its big enough to cover the hole or just like @barncobob hide it with a black washer

My car is 2017 CRV LX and the answer to your transmission question is no, that's definitely not a normal CVT operation. I would make an appointment with a dealership but before that please record the problem with your phone so you can show it to the technical person

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Man, it's bad. I may be a bit anal but come on! It can't be fixed without drilling an additional hole 5mm above the current one and wrecking my bumper or just making one giant hole that would only make the situation worse. My gf says I just need to accept it but I see it every day and it raises my blood pressure. The only reason she told me to accept it is because she doesn't want me stressing, not because she cares about the way it looks. It looks horrible.

Aside from that, is anybody else having an issue when decelerating to a complete stop the transmission "let's go" and and the RPMs nearly stall? Then it "catches" just before stall and the RPMs jump a bit too high before leveling off at idle. The whole event can be felt throughout the car too. This is my first CVT so I don't know how they typically behave.

Thanks everyone
I'm pretty sure what you describe in your second paragraph is not normal. Our CRV doesn't do that......but to be honest, I haven't paid attention to rpms when coming to a stop because all is smooth as silk.

Take it back to the dealership, tell them what it is doing/how its's acting and while you're there, have the service writter look at the crooked license plate. You paid +/-$30K for a car that the dealership fubared......wouldn't it be less stressful looking at a properly installed/straight license plate?

Reactions: williamsji

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll take a picture of it tomorrow morning. I'm not sure how to edit out my plate number though. I haven't posted a picture here before, I'll have to figure it all out in the morning. Mind you it is the large plastic mounting bracket that is unlevel, and it is off my 5mm.

Looks like I'll be seeing the dealer about some things.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
I’m weird.......I removed the mounting bracket early on as it locates the plate low, kinda in the airflow to the intercooler. I mounted the plate (higher) directly to the bumper cover without the plastic bracket. Did a little measuring and drilled new holes in the plate using the existing holes in the bumper cover.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,662 Posts
I'll take a picture of it tomorrow morning. I'm not sure how to edit out my plate number though. I haven't posted a picture here before, I'll have to figure it all out in the morning. Mind you it is the large plastic mounting bracket that is unlevel, and it is off my 5mm.

Looks like I'll be seeing the dealer about some things.
If you investigate a bit, you might find you can adjust the bracket enough to compensate. If not, I'd take it back and make them fix it, even if they have to replace the bumper. On a brand new car, this is unacceptable, so don't accept it.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Same thing happened to me. If I recall, I drilled out the bracket hole to enable me to align it straight on the bumper cover. Pissed me off at the time, but it's all good now.

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,558 Posts
Meh... it's not like you spend a lot of time standing in front of your CRV looking at the license plate. :p

Mine was sleightly crooked too when I took delivery, and I saw it before signing the papers and just let it go.. because nobody really looks that closely at the front plate anyway. I never even notice anymore anyway.

But I bet if you pulled it and checked, it would be easy to adjust alignment on it.. though since it is new.. let the dealer fix it in my view.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,662 Posts
I’m weird.......I removed the mounting bracket early on as it locates the plate low, kinda in the airflow to the intercooler. I mounted the plate (higher) directly to the bumper cover without the plastic bracket. Did a little measuring and drilled new holes in the plate using the existing holes in the bumper cover.

View attachment 135279
I hope you realize that drilling those holes in the plate is illegal. An eagle-eyed state trooper will ticket you and you will have to get new plates. In Texas, you may not alter a license plate in any way. Also, a nitpicky inspector would not pass the car either. Of course, no one may ever notice where you are. But I wouldn't run up and down 35 like that.

By the way, I hate these new plates they have now. They are no longer stamped/embossed and painted. Now they are just flat and printed, with a cheap-as-crap look and feel, even though they don't cost less. No class at all.

·
Registered
2017 CRV EX-L FWD
359 Posts
i got my 2019 a few days ago.. not paying attention (not thinking about it).. the next morning i saw they put a front plate bracket on it. NC doesnt have front plates. Now I have 2 screw holes in my front bumper. Need a trip to the beach now to get an OBX plate for the front lol
Or this.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
I hope you realize that drilling those holes in the plate is illegal. An eagle-eyed state trooper will ticket you and you will have to get new plates. In Texas, you may not alter a license plate in any way. Also, a nitpicky inspector would not pass the car either. Of course, no one may ever notice where you are. But I wouldn't run up and down 35 like that.

By the way, I hate these new plates they have now. They are no longer stamped/embossed and painted. Now they are just flat and printed, with a cheap-as-crap look and feel, even though they don't cost less. No class at all.
Oh pretty please, don't turn me in.?‍♀ It passed inspection last month.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts