Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have received 19" wheels from my friend as a gift, and now I need piece of advice. Could I install 19" Honda wheels on my CR-V 2009? What do you think? What tires should I install?

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
I have received 19" wheels from my friend as a gift, and now I need piece of advice. Could I install 19" Honda wheels on my CR-V 2009? What do you think? What tires should I install?
So many more questions. It’s not as simple as “what do you think”.

Have you bolted a new wheel on? What are the 2 wheel offsets and rim widths? What is the original tire size diameter?....do the arithmetic from the original tire size numbers on the sidewall to determine original diameter. The new tires should be very close to the same diameter as the original tire diameter.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,670 Posts
Your stock 17" aluminum alloy wheel's offset is 50mm. Wheel offset has to do mostly with brake caliper clearance and centering in the wheel well. You need to know the 19" wheel's offset to determine whether the wheels will work. I'm not sure if the steel wheels are the same. You can check that. There should be markings on the inside (back side) of the aftermarket wheel that state the wheel diameter, width, and offset. If not, look for a wheel model or serial number and contact the maker to get the info.

Your stock 17" aluminum alloy wheel's OEM equipped tires have a 28" outside diameter. I have 18" aftermarket wheels on my '07 and I know that you can get 18" tires to fit that have a 28" diameter, but I don't know about 19's, you'll have to research that. 28" outside diameter will be required for an accurate speedometer. I do know 29" tires will work fine, though they do throw the speedometer reading off a little.

The other critical dimension is wheel width. Those OEM stock 17" alloy wheels are 6.5" wide. Aftermarket wheels are available in many widths, so you'll need to learn whether the width of those 19" wheels will accept a tire width that will work, too. For instance, for a 255 or wider width tire you need a certain minimum wheel width, and if the wheels are 9 or 10 inches wide you can't mount a 205 or 215 width tire on those - the tire is too narrow and the beads will not set properly.

All Gen3 (2007 through 2011) OEM alloy wheels are the same size and interchangeable. There are only two, the 07-09 ones and the 10-11 ones. If the 19" wheels are OEM off a late model Honda you can find the specs here:

https://www.autorimshop.com/amfinder/?find=2010-honda-cr-v-450197

That website has all the wheel specs for most Honda OEM wheels. Just go to the main page, and find the year and car model. On that page it will show pictures of all wheels for that model. Click on the picture for the ones you have and that page will list all the specs for that wheel.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
@crv383 hits many concerns and I agree--it's not a matter of slapping any wheel on a CR-V and hoping it will work. The offset has to be correct. The wheel has to have a hub-centric mounting. The bolt pattern/spacing also needs to match. Not to mention the ride will get very harsh and the handling of the CR-V will change, likely for the worse. (Or I could say, "not as designed.")

1 - 4 of 4 Posts