Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Honda,

I am furious that you have not told owners of 1997-2001 Honda CR-Vs about the correct valve adjustment interval. You state that the valves should be adjusted every 105,000 miles instead of 30,000 miles.
As per Tech Service Bulletin 03-038, you know that this usually results in very costly repairs. My dealer in San Francisco wanted to charge me $4700 to do the repair on a car that had only 89,000 miles.
I asked for assistance but was denied on the basis that I am the second owner. Number of owners has nothing to do with this problem, as you well know. Neither does maintenance: the problem can still happen even if the maintenance schedule presented in the owners manual is strictly adhered to. And, though you were able to get away with it with me, I am going to try my hardest to alert all Honda CR-V owners within these years of this potential problem. Also, due to the lack of respect and responsibility on Honda's part, I am sorry to report that I will in no way ever support Honda again, financially, or by word-of-mouth. I hope that you will seriously take into consideration addressing this problem in an honorable way by issuing a letter to all 97-01 CR-V owners alerting them to this.

Sincerely,

Former Honda Advocate

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Welcome To The Club!

Sorry to hear about your difficulties! Well written complaint! You are not the only one that is getting fed up with Honda. I hope someone is listening. I bought a Honda because everyone told me how they last forever with no problems. Hmmmm! Well again welcome to the club.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I also am sorry the valve issue had a bad outcome for "august".

I would also hasten to add that this forum has repeatedly tried to warn Gen 1 owners about this issue. Unfortunately the CRVOC is a passive medium and we can only warn owners that inquire on the forum. As "august" has pointed out only Honda can warn ALL current Gen 1 owners.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Proper adjustment?

Are the adjustments that are marked correct? If not what are the proper adjustments to the valves?:eek:

The valves you are speaking of are the overhead valves, that run off the cam... just so I am on the same page?

I've changed my timing belt a month or so ago... just in case it hadn't been changed in awhile.

I personally really like my '97 CR-V... over 338000 km s and burns no oil, I get 32 m/gal.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I remember reading on the other forum as to why it is 105,000 miles here in the US, and not 30,000 miles like everywhere else in the world. It has to do with some unsual law in California and a few other states where a vehicle needs to have a 100,000 mile or higher tune up interval....

For the OP, I don't know why Honda didn't cover the repair as they usually help even with second owners. Did you contact Honda corporate? Doesn't sound like you did. Maybe you'll have better luck with a GM :rolleyes:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts