Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
I've recently purchased 1997 crv, automatic. It has been driving and shifting totally fine (little hesitant between 3rd and 4th gear when cold). I decided to change tranny fluid, engine oil, air filter and spark plugs as an initial service.
When I finished the service, i started the car and heard this horrible sound. Not sure what is the source, It is my first vehicle with automatic. Did I do anything wrong with changing the fluids or what would be your suggestions please? I took ot for a short drive and it shifts well, but the sound did not go away even when after warming up. Thanks for any tips! ( i disconnected power steering pump too but it did not change anything).

link for the video here:
noise in engine bay of my crv

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Welcome to the forum. It sounds like one of the pulleys or idler pulley or water pump. You're on the right track. By removing the belt on the steering pump you eliminated the pump. Was the Defrost on while the engine is running? The next step would be to remove the belt for the AC. The idler pulley on those go bad as well. If the noise is still there the next step is to remove the drive belt. Don't worry as the engine won't overheat as the water pump is driven by the timing belt. Do you have a multimeter? It could be the alternator, check the voltage on the battery while the engine is running. See wha it puts out. If you have removed all the drive belts i.e. power steering belt, AC belt & drive belt. If the noise persist it will be the water pump or the timing belt tensioner pulley. What's the odometer reading?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts