Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The dealer wants $600 to replace the rear control arm bushings! are they made of gold!

has anyone a picture of the arm from say a manual?

Also they want to machine the brake discs as they have hot spots. what are hot spots?

vehicle has 60K miles on it.
and 20K miles being towed behind an RV.

other than spark plugs, tires and battery, everything is original.

thanks all

·
Premium Member
1998 CR-V EX 4spd auto "Big Green" completely stock with roof rack and front mud flaps
1,206 Posts
You've got a baby! 22 years old, and only 80k? Wow.

Firstly, dealers charge more than a regular mechanic, and recommend more service because they have to since they don't make enough money selling cars. That said, most of that charge for the bushings is probably labor because they are a pain, and I think they require a special tool if you don't want to remove the rear suspension to do it.

I wouldn't touch brake rotors if your brakes work well and feel normal. Usually resurfacing the rotors is something you only do when you're replacing pads.

Cheers.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
11,774 Posts
When these rear bushings first started to deteriorate (a few years ago) the dealers would replace the entire rear control arms, as that was what was available from Honda.

It later came out, that the rubber bushings were the same as on similar vintage Civics, so they could be obtained individually for replacement.

++++++++++++

Brake rotor 'hot spots' are another name for pad redeposits. Read this:

https://www.apcautotech.com/getmedi..._Whitepaper_B1-Warped-Brake-Disc-8-2018_1.pdf

Hot Spots can be caused by cheap pads, or coming to a stop after hard braking (as, at the end of an exit ramp). The heat from the pads sticks to the rotors. You can eliminate this by stopping a car length or two from the car ahead, and creeping up.

Usually a slight skim (turning) of the rotors is all that is required to stop the vibration.

·
Premium Member
1998 CR-V EX 4spd auto "Big Green" completely stock with roof rack and front mud flaps
1,206 Posts
What Carbuff2 said about the control arms makes a lot of sense. I was reading my FSM earlier today, and it says nothing about replacing the trailing arm bushings: only has an exploded view and general guidelines for replacing the entire trailing arm.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts