Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Morning,

I am looking at changing the transmission fluid in my CRV from Japan. Currently I am finding many things online regarding the correct fluid to use. Canadian Tire Fluid is what I have found at CT. On the back it says that it "Meets or exceeds the latest requirement of: Honda/ Acura ATF-Z1". I have also found a lot of info online saying that Honda Genuine ATF DW-1 replaces ATF-Z1. I can't find any DW-1, I assume the ATF-Z1 is safe to use?

·
Registered
2010 EX-L (AWD, non-Nav)
565 Posts
I would be leery about any non-Honda ATF. The real deal isn't that expensive (about US $8 per liter here stateside) and transmission repair is very expensive.

DW-1 is backwards-compatible with Z1. It's better than Z1 too, and you Canadians get the full-synthetic DW-1. We yankees get semi-synth DW-1.

Z1 hasn't been available for about 10 years.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
If you can't find the DW-1, Z-1 can still be used if you can find it BUT quite a few have switched to the Valvoline MaxLife,Dex/Merc atf with excellent results, and it is a lot cheaper and most prefer it to the old Z-1.
I use the Valvoline stuff in my '03 Ody which is a lot heavier and with the same tranny that CRV's of the 2003 vintage use.
Buffalo4

1 - 4 of 4 Posts