Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughter's CRV went from having zero oil leaks about 6 months ago, to now dumping about a quart a week (maybe more). It's a 1997 with 125K miles on it. The valve cover gasket seems dry. The oil pressure switch is dry. The oil is leaking from the pully end of the engine (driver's side), so it seems clear it's not the rear main seal. I was worried that it might be the front crank seal, but there didn't seem to be a lot of oil coming from that location either, but a 21 year old car with that many miles is pretty dirty underneath. In digging around forums, it seems that the oil pan gasket can be a challenge to keep from leaking, so I gave that a try with essentially no change in the leak.

I couldn't find a CRV thread with my same symptoms or a solution, so I did some research into Civics with a similar leak and found someone who had essentially the same problem – major leak from the pully end of the engine. He eventually traced it to a leaking oil pump o-ring. The job is a little more involved than changing the timing belt, but if you are up for changing a timing belt, you can certainly tackle this. I’m happy to report that after changing the o-ring, front main seal (came in a kit from AutoZone) and installing a new oil pan gasket (you have to pull the pan to remove the oil pump), the car is no longer leaking!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts