Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pulling my hair out trying to get to the bottom of a transmission issue on my 98 CR-V. For some time I had some erratic shifting, usually going up hills or under load, so I added some Honda transmission fluid, and the problem basically went away of a couple of weeks. Unfortunately the problem returned, and the transmission started losing fluid, and would function ok (for a short time) if I added it, but leaked out rapidly (and it was not coming from an obvious place).

After getting stranded a few times, I let the car sit for a couple of months, but today set out to find the leak, and sure enough, one of the clamps for one of the cooling lines had slipped out of place, and the line was loose (where it attaches at the radiator). I reattached it and checked the fluid, and started the car and it seemed to move just fine for a little jaunt up the block, but when I set out again for another test, after letting the car idle for 20 min or so, the car wouldn't move. Then I noticed that if I shut it off, and restart it after letting it sit for a while, it will move for a short distance before refusing to budge.

During the time it was leaking, I did add a couple of quarts of auto parts store honda fluid, but no other types.

Where should I be looking next?

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
I'd start off by changing out as much of the trans fluid as you can and replacing it with Honda fluid. Once you get it to move again, I'd plan on doing at least 3 drain and fills with Honda fluid as soon as you possibly can, like in the same day.
Honda's don't like anything but Honda fluid in the trans.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts