Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, hoping you might be able to give me an idea of whats going on.

First off the car has been a real trooper. Its paid for itself many times over. Currently has about 171k on the odometer and has been running perfectly for a long long time.

Anyway, recently I've noticed that when I'm accelerating I get a "shake" that feels like its coming from right under the floor board between the 2 front seats. If I'm cruising on the highway at say 55mph and not accelerating, just maintaining speed, I will not feel the shake, but at the moment I get in the gas to accelerate I start to get a shake. Almost feels like a tire that is waay out of balance. But if I let off the gas, it immediately stops. It seems to be more prevelant at highway speeds, but I do feel it a bit on the lower end as well.

Any ideas?

Thanks

·
Registered
302 Posts
i experienced this to one of our Vs(97 LX).. when i drove it once,
never have driven it again yet, i was wondering what could be
the cause, same situation... when you press the pedal theres
the "shake" but if your free wheeling or let go of the pedal, theres
none...
i thought it was just the suspension coz i know it might be time
for its replacement, allignment or tire issue.. might be from the rear
differential too.. but good thing ive read this querry..

any inputs will be appreciated..
good day!

·
Registered
482 Posts
You may have loose rubber isolator mount or mounts. Have the engine and transmission mounts ever been replaced? A mount or mounts may have deteriated with age. Get under the vehicle and grab the drive shaft going to the rear axle - grab at transmission to see if you can get a lot of movement. This would be a good place to start. The drive shaft to the rear - is it one piece or two piece shaft. If a two peice, I wonder if the centre support is loose - not sure if this would have any effect unless the rear wheels kicked in on slippery condtions. Is the front end tight - ball joints etc?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You may have loose rubber isolator mount or mounts. Have the engine and transmission mounts ever been replaced? A mount or mounts may have deteriated with age. Get under the vehicle and grab the drive shaft going to the rear axle - grab at transmission to see if you can get a lot of movement. This would be a good place to start. The drive shaft to the rear - is it one piece or two piece shaft. If a two peice, I wonder if the centre support is loose - not sure if this would have any effect unless the rear wheels kicked in on slippery condtions. Is the front end tight - ball joints etc?
I will get under there and see what I can find. The thing about it is that the "shake" becomes more rapid as I increase in speed, and stay in the throttle. It immediately stops when I let off the gas. It has to be something that receives a load. When there is no load, no shake. The drive shaft going to the rear is a 2 piece. Does that drive shaft spin at all times?? I wasn't exactly sure how the AWD system worked. I thought that when the front tires break free, the rear tires engage but I wasn't sure if the drive shaft going to the rear was turning at all times?? Or am I all fouled up, and all four tires are working all the time??

Again the shake feels like its right under the floor board..I'll check the drive shaft where it connects to the tranny and see whats up. The front end, although not perfect feels pretty good, I'm thinking this problem isn't related to the front ball joints ect. I'm not sure about the engine and tranny mounts being replaced..I'm thinking not.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
482 Posts
If your 1998 CRV is like our 2005, the driveshaft to the rear turns when you are driving and the engaging clutches are in the back axle. Another thing to check is the the right front drive axle - is it a two part axle - if this is so one part is called the intermediate shaft that has a bearing - this could be loose and cause the vibration under load.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
If your 1998 CRV is like our 2005, the driveshaft to the rear turns when you are driving and the engaging clutches are in the back axle. Another thing to check is the the right front drive axle - is it a two part axle - if this is so one part is called the intermediate shaft that has a bearing - this could be loose and cause the vibration under load.
I think you might be on to something here. Just tonight I noticed for the first time the "clunking" noise as I made a left hand turn..not on a right hand turn. And I also noticed but failed to mention, that the clunking noise or shake is more rapid, the higher the speed I'm at. So its deffinetly something that is turning..axle, drive shaft ect.

Tomorrow I'm going to have the time to really look into this....The intermediate shaft bearing...is this easy to get to? If it is loose, can I fix this? if not, what do I need to replace? The intermediate shaft or the whole axle?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
DOn't know if someone already suggested it, but 90% of the time, this issue is because of 1 bad tire. Just one.
Hopefully I'm not speaking too soon..however I went in today and had the shop look the car over..they said the axles and boots were in fine condition. But they did find like you said, that the right front tire was out of balance by almost 2 ounces. After they fixed that, flushed the tranny fluid and changed the oil, I took it on a test drive and the problem was all but gone.
I'm going to be taking it on a longer highway drive tomorrow and that should be the final test. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Told you...

The tire being off balance on the Cr-v makes a big difference.

it will only happen when you get up to about 40 on the freeway and then shake more and more violently as you speed up. Glad it got solved.

·
MECP Audio Expert
2,076 Posts
get your valves adjusted as well if you havent. When was the last time you changed your radiator fluid and rear diff fluid? Dont forget about those as well. Not related to your problem, but needs to be done.

btw if your problem was brakeing at those speeds it would be from warped rotors, just in case someone else is looking for answers in the future. I suggest getting 2 new tires, not just one.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Ok I had the same problem only mine was at initial take off then it stops. When at cruise speed and you accelerate say to pass it really vibrates. I have brand new tires and new rotors. It is 2006 with front whl drive and 96,+++ miles, I replaced tires thinking that was problem and that did not fix it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Told you...

The tire being off balance on the Cr-v makes a big difference.

it will only happen when you get up to about 40 on the freeway and then shake more and more violently as you speed up. Glad it got solved.
Wellll, not so fast.

The car was running much better yesterday and for the first part of my trip this morning...then after about 10 min on the freeway it started again. The right front again, shaking on acceleration.

As for the bold..I am/have experienced the shaking at lower speeds than that.

Is it possible that something in the front end is causing the tires to go out of balance? Upon balancing the tires yesterday, they switched the right to the left and it happened again today.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
get your valves adjusted as well if you havent.
The shop said my valves are fine right now, but will need to be adjusted within the next 5-10k.

When was the last time you changed your radiator fluid and rear diff fluid? Dont forget about those as well. Not related to your problem, but needs to be done
Radiator and rear diff fluid was changed 15k ago.

]btw if your problem was brakeing at those speeds it would be from warped rotors, just in case someone else is looking for answers in the future. I suggest getting 2 new tires, not just one.
I know the Rotors need to be turned, but my problem is not brakeing related.
I am going to go back in the shop tomorrow and have them check the balance of the tires again..if they are out of balance after only one day of driving..then something is up with the tires or something causing them to get unbalanced.
If the tires are good, then its on to something else. The shop said the axles look fine, and the boots are solid. I'm wondering if there is something wrong inside the boot that we can't see????

·
MECP Audio Expert
2,076 Posts
also if the bushings are broken on one side, it can cause stress on the sway bar, especially to one side, but thats not your problem. (thats more of a lowered car thing). Check the engine torque mounts while your there. Also I'm sure the guys will, or have done a full inspection of the bushings, struts, and tested the bearings.

·
Registered
482 Posts
You could press or squeeze the the boot to see if water comes out. If found a problem with the inner joint on a previous car that way - the boot looked good but water had got in and seized the joint so it couldn't move in and out as it should.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You could press or squeeze the the boot to see if water comes out. If found a problem with the inner joint on a previous car that way - the boot looked good but water had got in and seized the joint so it couldn't move in and out as it should.
I will check that..but I live in AZ and we've haven't had any rain in months. I will note that although the shake is still there to some degree, it seems to have calmed down a bit since they balanced the tires. I need to get them rechecked to rule that out.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts