Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

My CR-V is sometimes hesitating, it happened 5 or 6 times over the last 6 weeks, never before :confused:

Example: Then i drive home from work with my normal speed (85 km/t) and want to increase speed a bit it hesitates/stalling... out af now where ???? The engine stays on and after a while its gone Again... No more failure??? Last time was 3 days ago, and it can happen in both rain and dry conditions.

What i done so far:

Only driving with Shell V-power gasoline. Yesterday after another event with hesitating, filling it up along with 0,5 liter carburetor alcohol (removes any moisture in the tank system)

Measured my plug wires resistance, number 4 (the short one) 6,5 Kohm, 3 measured 8,5 Kohm, 2 measured 9,9 Kohm, and number 1 11,8 Kohm They are genuine and purchased in Okt 2013, distributor cap and rotor changed to genuine ones at same time.

Checked my spark plugs, looking in good condition, NGK ZFR5??? (the genuine ones you know). They are 15000 km/10000 miles old

Just cleaned the 4 poles in my distributor-cap and the rotor. (they where not clean) What do you call the White dust in English???

Measured ignition coil, resistance 0,8-0,9 ohm (should be 0,6-0,8 ohm) also the resistance on the powerside, measured 16,5 Kohm (should be 12,5-19,8 Kohm)

3 month ago in a normal maintence procedure i changed the fuel and airfilter.

Did an engine overhaul in January with new pistonrings and oilrings, cylinderhead machining and everything

What should i look for if it happens again???

The car runs fine for now, but if it happens again i want something to look for :)

Hope you have some good input

Kind regards

Henrik

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you. checked and cleaned the map sensor today... everything was fine, incl. electric maesurements.

Nothing was wrong with it, this afternoon my car had hesitation problems again ??

The next thing ill check is fuelline and delivery, maybe my new filter is full of dirt allready... i dont know but ill find out...... and be back with results

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
There is another fuel filter besides the in line one that most replace. There is a "sock" filter on the pump inside the tank that never gets changed.

Also, how full is the tank when this happens? Also hot or cold outside and vehicle do it more when the motor is hot or cold or doesnt matter?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had a hesitation issue and for my 98' the throttle body needed to be cleaned. It did make a good difference. Also, check for any cracks in the intake boot from the air not to the TB. That will also cause random hesitation/stalls. Good luck

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thank you. checked and cleaned the map sensor today... everything was fine, incl. electric maesurements.

Nothing was wrong with it, this afternoon my car had hesitation problems again ??

The next thing ill check is fuelline and delivery, maybe my new filter is full of dirt allready... i dont know but ill find out...... and be back with results
Another thing you could check and clean is the idle air control valve. Mine would hesitate at around 20mph after starting it up. Taking off the control valve I saw dirt blocking the screens so I used some carburetor cleaner to clean it and it worked. Haven't had the issue come back yet. It may not make a difference in your case but wouldn't hurt to try.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
it happens with both cold and warm engine.... dosent matter.... fuel quality is ok, Shell v-power is the most sofisticated fuel to buy here in Denmark... also the most expensive.... there are no leaks in the intake rubber or any vacum hose at all... i checked it very carefully.

Next thing to do is inspecting the fuel line and pump, ill do it tomorrow night, every wednesday evening the old boys get together drinking cofee smoking tobacco and have a good time around our vehicles .... call it quality time :)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
And yes! i forgot, cleaning the throttle is another thing that must be done... idle air control valve got cleaned up in spring but i will check it anyway

ill be back !!!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There is another fuel filter besides the in line one that most replace. There is a "sock" filter on the pump inside the tank that never gets changed.
Checked the pump and the "sock" filter, the inside of the tank and the filter looked like brand new, everything was fine. But i have noticed an issue, the RPM goes a bit up and down then the engine is at idle speed and Cold.... starting at 1500 rpm going down to 1300 and up and Down and up and...

That must be the igniter need to be replaced, i got one from my co worker, ill replace it in the weekend and see what happens

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
That sounds like it could be the IAC valve. I don't believe the igniter will act like that.
You may have more than one cause. The hesitation at road speeds and the fluctuating idle speed when cold may have different causes.
Idle speed fluctuations and hesitation at hwy speeds can be caused by plugged up EGR passages or a bad or plugged up EGR valve.
You also stated that the ignition coil measurement was slightly out of specs, 09 instead of 08 ohms at the high end. I would highly suspect that it is bad or your electrical meter is not accurate.
You also said you cleaned the contacts in the distributor cap. Why not change the cap and the rotor?
At night, or in a dark area, mist some water over the spark plug wires while the engine is running and see if you see much arcing. If so, the wires may need to be replaced.
Any turning of the engine using the starter while a spark plug wire is detached and not grounded, or the distributor cap is off ( even to rotate it to get to the rotor screw) without disconnecting the low voltage connector at the distributor or removing the proper fuse, CAN cause the ignition coil to internally short itself and it will cause problems, even though it still works somewhat.
Buffalo4

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
cleaned my IACV in spring (april or may) , rotor, plugwires and cap changed then i got the car in oct 2013 .

My co worker has a Honda Prelude with these exact idle problems, changing the Igniter and his car had no more problems, about the EGR ? Ill look into it, this weekend were on a trip to visit my family . Its a 160 mile trip, leaving home with no problem att all.. after the first 100 miles one of my boys needed to take a toilet brake... 10 minutes later, we got back in the vehicle and it hesitated emmidiatly reaching normal highway speed (80 miles/120km/h)

After 1 or 2 miles the problems were gone again ???
I think the distributor parts did act like that because of the heat, the engine room gets a lot varmer 10 min after parking, cooling down again on the road

I found anorther distributor, and ill replace it. Hope to solve my problems soon

regards Henrik

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
With that last experience, it sure could be something electrical, as you first suggested. Igniters usually fail when hotter, as do ignition coils.
Hopefully your trip goes well.
Buffalo4

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hopefully your trip goes well.
Buffalo4
Thank you! Just landed safe at home after a good weekend :)

The car did the same on the way back. Two times we needed to stop and after a 10 minutes break, back in the car and the problem showed up both times..
Back here on my PC instead of smartphone i can tell i switched igniter Friday afternoon. It came from a bad Civic, just to try to see what happens... I wanted to provoke something to happen...and it did ! hesitation and stalling really increased. Switching back and i was back with "the pain im getting used to" ;)

Im pretty sure i found something, i keep you posted. Just be patient, my job takes a lot of time at the moment

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I promised to get back after Work and here i am ;)

Changed the distributor Wednesday this week, and it seems my problem is solved... the car runs fine with no hesitation or anything for 3 days now .
I have driven 160 km (100miles), the car runs fine with no hesitation or anything for 3 days now :cool:

I also noticed that idle speed is the same all the time then engine is hot, before the change it could go a little up and Down.

Im taking the chance and call the problems solved, thanks for all your input.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Glad you got it fixed and posted back. :D
I wonder if it was a worn distributor (wobbly rotor) or the ignition coil. Guess we'll never know.:eek:
Buffalo4
PS: If you still have the old dist , disconnect the ignition coil (old one) and do the ohm measurements, if you don't mind taking the time to do it, and post the primary and secondary resistance values you get. If you don't want to bother, that's just fine also.
Enjoy your CRV !!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
If you still have the old dist , disconnect the ignition coil (old one) and do the ohm measurements, if you don't mind taking the time to do it, and post the primary and secondary resistance values you get. If you don't want to bother, that's just fine also.
Enjoy your CRV !!
Hello again Buffalo4, i mentioned the values then i started this thread about my problems.... But my problems where NOT solved then i wrote on okt 17, i just thought so :confused:
The day after i wrote i had some hesitation Again, just a Little bit but it was there :(

On okt 20 i had a day off, driving my boy to school the car hesitated two or three times, going back home after i dropped him off it came Again, i pulled the clutch to reach idle speed and the engine totally died from idle speed to zero in a second.
After that no start at all, i got a ride home with another parent going my way, back home i grabbed the old distributor and went back to the car, switched distributor and no start ????
Called my friend to pick me and the car up and in his shop we figured it out, the 9 month old timing belt was broken ??? :(

Using a camera in the cumbustion chamber we found out nothing was wrong, checking everything including cams, the new waterpump and everything. I got another belt and now everything is fine Again. It runs better than ever, i had a rattling sound with Cold engine after i did the overhaul, its also gone away. Inspecting the broken timing belt its very clear that it didnt have the "soft touch" compared with the new. The teeth did not fit the camshaft pulleys with that close, sharp and tight feeling . Hope you know what i mean... In another Word, the new timing belt fit a lot more properly than the old one.
My buddy who has 35 years of experience never seen anything like it, without finding something else wrong....We agree that the 9 month old timing belt was the bad guy and luck was on my side nothing happened with my "new" engine

Final: Then we got the engine up and running it was with the old distributor, hesitation came back Again.. quick switch to the new one and everything was fine... summary: i had a combination of errors, bad and stretched timing belt, teasing the crank monitoring and a bad distributor...... what a month :D

If it happens Again ill paint it blue and dumb it in the ocean :D

Attachments

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Any idea what brand that old timing belt was?
Happy to hear it didn't damage the valves, etc.
Hopefully all your hard work will pay off.

Happy CRV'ing !!!!! :)

Buffalo4

1 - 20 of 22 Posts