Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving home from work, my CR-V suddenly lost power going up hill, shut off and the battery light came on. I pulled over, turned it off and it restarted. This happened 3 times within a few miles. The fourth time it happened it would not restart. We let it sit for a couple hours then went back to try again and all it would do is click. My husband tried to jump start it and it acted like it wanted to turn over. Now when I try to start it, it makes a skreeching sound like metal grinding together. It has 198,000 miles on it and has been running just fine. There was no warning at all to this problem. Also, I don't know if it matters but it was raining when all this happened. Any suggestion as to what this might be would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Driving home from work, my CR-V suddenly lost power going up hill, shut off and the battery light came on. I pulled over, turned it off and it restarted. This happened 3 times within a few miles. The fourth time it happened it would not restart. We let it sit for a couple hours then went back to try again and all it would do is click. My husband tried to jump start it and it acted like it wanted to turn over. Now when I try to start it, it makes a skreeching sound like metal grinding together. It has 198,000 miles on it and has been running just fine. There was no warning at all to this problem. Also, I don't know if it matters but it was raining when all this happened. Any suggestion as to what this might be would be much appreciated.
Have you had the wiring harness and ignition switch replaced? There was a recall a while back and my car had the same issues, no problems now after replacing them.

http://www.carcomplaints.com/Honda/CR-V/1998/recalls/

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
Charge battery up and check bat terminals for cleanliness and tightness. Check grounding strap connections : one from the neg terminal of the battery to the frame and the other is from the frame ,nearer the radiator, to the engine.
If it still won't crank over at a decent speed, check starter connections. Remember, there is always power to the starter regardless of the ignition key switch position.
If you get it started, check battery voltage while it is running. It should be around 14v while charging and around 12.5v while the engine is off.
Very possible that the alternator is shot and/or the starter. Both can be checked. Diagnose before replacing those parts.
Also what spartan117 says.
Buffalo4
PS: Don't know about the rain or screeching sound. :(

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I bought my 1998 CR-V in 2010 and I didn't know about the recalls until researching what happen for half the night. I don't know if the previous owners had it done either. I'm going to try and find out if there is some way to check using the vin #. If you know of a way to find out, please let me know. Thank you.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I bought my 1998 CR-V in 2010 and I didn't know about the recalls until researching what happen for half the night. I don't know if the previous owners had it done either. I'm going to try and find out if there is some way to check using the vin #. If you know of a way to find out, please let me know. Thank you.
You could check on Honda's website by VIN. Also yeah like Buffalo4 says check the battery terminals to see if they are connected or corroded.

http://owners.honda.com/service-maintenance/recalls

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone for your input:) Come to find out, the oil filter had come loose and blown all my oil all over the bottom of the motor. I was very very luck that it didn't lock up on me. I got the head gasket fixed and the oil change done and it's running ok except now I have a ticking sound when I give it gas which I hope isn't a sign of more serious problems to come.

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
Many times a ticking sound under throttle is an exhaust leak.
It needs a mechanic to look at it or a friend who is mechanically minded.
Didn't your oil light go on? Or, did you possibly mistake the warning light for the battery light?
Did whoever replaced the head gasket do a compression test?
If you open up the hood and set the emergency brake and hold the brake pedal down, try starting the engine and put it in Drive and give it a little throttle for a short time while someone outside the CRV is listening to try to spot the location of the noise.
Just make sure you don't run over them. Usually that will make any tick louder. Be very [email protected]!!!
Buffalo4

1 - 7 of 7 Posts