Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We recently acquired a 1998 CR-V that did not come with a key fob. I was going to pick one up from Ebay, but there seem to be 2 different ones and I have no idea how to tell which one I need. One is for "factory installed" keyless entry, and the other is for "dealer installed" keyless entry. Seemingly the only way to tell which one we have is to read the numbers off the existing key fob, which obviously does no good if we didn't get a key fob with it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What model do you have, an LX or EX?
If it's an LX then this place sells 2 remotes for the LX for US$70:
https://www.handa-accessories.com/crvelect01.html
Curiously there are no badges or anything indicating the model, but thankfully the window sticker was still folded up in the glove compartment and it's an LX.

Then after looking on the site you linked, the site says "Note: All 1997's are LX models" so I guess that's why it didn't specify on the vehicle.

For the price difference I'm better off ordering both from Ebay and paying to return the wrong one (~$12 each), I'd just rather order the correct one in the first place and skip the trouble if possible. There really has to be some way to tell, seems rather crazy that they had 2 different and incompatible systems in the first place!

·
Registered
779 Posts
There are two different FCC IDs for '97s (and presumably the '98). One is for the stock remote. But if the system has a Honda alarm in it like mine (installed it myself), the key fobs use a different ID, and no mention of it the remote made except in the instructions to install the alarm. It took me a while to track the right one down since they are much rarer. If you don't have the Honda alarm, then the standard remote for that year will work. You can probably find the Honda part number for it at one of the online Honda parts dealers. When I searched eBay, the Honda part number pointed me to the correct remote. The better remote shops give the Honda part number somewhere in the item details, I've found.

(How to tell if you have the Honda alarm--provided it was installed per the instructions, you will have a red blinking LED on top of the steering column, and a black disarm button down on the lower part of the dashboard beneath the window controls.)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
3 Participants
Wildcat
Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums
Honda CR-V Owners Club forum, the best hang-out to discuss CVT, Hybrids, trim levels and all things CR-V
Full Forum Listing