Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks, have a conundrum here that nobody seems to have an answer for. My 1998 CR-V has ran great and always started for the two years I've owned it. Saturday I disconnected the battery for a bit and when I re-connected it, the car wouldn't start. Won't even crank, just nothing. Even stranger, when I turn the key all that happens is the "key in ignition" alarm chimes, the hazards flash and the "Park" gearshift indicator light on the dashboard flashes. They do this for exactly 30 times (I've counted) and then stop. The battery is good and I just replaced the starter 5 weeks ago. Everything's getting power as headlight, radio, and accessories will all work. Anybody have any clue what could be going on? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Are your battery connections clean and tight? The starter draws more current than anything else you mentioned that still works. A resistive connection will prevent the needed flow of current to the starter.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Did you just disconnect the battery for grins, or were you actually doing something that required the battery to be disconnected?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I disconnected the battery to reset the Check Engine light. It comes on maybe once a month. I've had two separate mechanics look at it and neither one could find a reason it was going on at random times so now I just disconnect the battery to make it go away. The car runs fine and passed emissions so I'm not overly concerned about it.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Its going to be really tough to give you any good help without being able to look at this one. It kind of sounds like the security control unit may be doing something batty. I took a screenshot of this from the service manual. I think the lights flash at a rate of once per second. So according to that, 30 seconds would amount to 30 flashes. And since its flashing the parking lights, the dash lights would flash as well. I have no way of knowing if this is indeed what is going on, but it seems to match what you are describing. Maybe try to disconnect the battery again for a bit and see what happens or shut all the doors and lock/unlock with the key fob.

Text Font

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your reply. I was wondering if it was something like that but it doesn't have a sescurity system as far as I know and there's no fob, just a key. I'll give it a try.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.