Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girlfriends 1998 CRV (EX with Automatic) has died several times in the last couple of months while she was driving it. Each time, she waited a couple of minutes and then it started back up.

I originally thought it would be something simple like a loose battery connection or something along those lines, but all that is fine. This just happened again yesterday when she was leaving work. She started up, pulled out of the parking lot and drove approximately 1/4 mile and then it just died. She was able to coast to the side of the road and then called me. She waited a about a minute and then drove it home. After the 3 mile drive home, I took it for a drive around and everything seems to be running normal.

Is there any common problems with CRV's that would be causing this issue? She has owned the car for about 75k miles and the problem just started a couple months ago and has happened about 4 times.

Any input would be appreciated!

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Tune up time, possibly a Fuel filter, but to answer your question, no there are No common problems with CRV's no starting.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After doing a search on this forum site, it sounds like it could be the ignition switch recall. I checked Honda's website and it looks like the recall work was never done on this vehicle. Looks like that would be a good starting point on the issue.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Yes, sounds like the ignition switch issue I read about frequently. Could also be the distributor bearings or other tune up related stuff, but I agree that the switch is a good starting point.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will be replacing the distributor cap and rotor along with new plugs and wires this evening. Then next time we make it to the front range, we will make an appointment to get the recall work done on it. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
482 Posts
Does it buck before it dies or does it just shut off. Throttle postion sensor could cause this problem - but
usually bucks and loses power. The igntion switch does make sense. Does she have lots of keys on the same
keychain - if so these swing back and forth can cause ignition switch problems - look a GM and now Chrysler
with their problems. Many years ago my uncle, who was a mechanic, said that having many keys on the
keychain with the igntion key, will cause problems. My car key is the only key on the keychain! When the car
is running, try wigling the key and see if the vehicle stops.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had the same issue.

It would die any time the rpms were low enough. At stop lights, during a turn, when too many electricals were on.

Turned out to be the distributor rotor. It hadn't been changed since factory.

That screw is really easy to strip out. Read a few posts here before attempting it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts