Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. New here. Wasnt sure where to post this and only have a few min left on lunch. 1998 crv awd rear end went out. Just curious if all 1998 crv awd have the same gear ratio. Giving the vehi6to my cancer stricken father in law and need to get it up and running quick for dr visits. I can get a whole rear end from the local u pull it salvage yard but didnt know the technical specs on the gear ratios. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
The rear differential is the same for all 1997 through 2001 CR-Vs with RT4WD/AWD. They all have the same gear ratios. After swapping in the new rear end make sure to drain and refill the differential with new Honda Dual Pump Fluid II, it's the only lubricant you should put in the rear diff.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
OP hasn't returned to the forum in nine days, but anyways...

"Rear end?" This isn't a rear wheel drive car. I'm going to guess at this. If it has AWD, you can replace the rear differential, but on a car this old, why bother? Remove the driveshaft, make it front wheel drive...and done. Something this old isn't worth putting money into. Unless that rear differential is grinding not turning for whatever reason, it doesn't hurt to leave it in place. If it's just making the groaning sound in tight turns, drain and fill with Honda Dual Pump Fluid. Never heard of one going bad.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea sorry for the delay. Between work, raising two grandchildren, him having the cancer and dealing with all that entails plus another personal vehicle I'm in the midst of working on just been swamped and busy. Never really thought about making it strictly a fwd. Local salvage yard has a rear diff for 50 so really not that expensive. Thanks for the replies

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Took the driveshaft out tonight. Crank, shift to drive and nothing. Look under the vehicle and the rear output yoke is spinning. Not sure if they are supposed to be this way but this one is. No park either. Park was fine before removal

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
If Park was fine before you removed the rear driveshaft that basically means there is no real connection between the transmission and the front drive. The rear was connected through the drive shaft and tranny and so it worked,
Rear diffy is probably OK, Front one ????
Need someone who really understands how that transmission connects to the front wheels, etc.
I sure hope it isn't a major high cost fix. :eek:
Buffalo4

1 - 6 of 6 Posts