Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone
I am new to this site as I am looking for info on a recently purchased crv , the car has central locking and an immobilizer but no keyless entry fob , I cannot find any designated model information on the car or in the owners manual and was built in 1998, is there any way I can tell if the car originally came with keyless entry, I am the third owner and the previous owner said he never received any remotes when he purchased the car. thanks in advance

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
9,245 Posts
MOVED to Problems & Issues. :eek:

If your V was originally sold in North America, it seems as if it is an aftermarket system. I don't recall Vs EVER fitted with Central Locking unless they had remote operation.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hi Everyone
I am new to this site as I am looking for info on a recently purchased crv , the car has central locking and an immobilizer but no keyless entry fob , I cannot find any designated model information on the car or in the owners manual and was built in 1998, is there any way I can tell if the car originally came with keyless entry, I am the third owner and the previous owner said he never received any remotes when he purchased the car. thanks in advance
Contact your local Honda dealer's parts dept. and give them your VIN and they will be able to tell you what came on the car.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
What exactly is "central locking"?

The first gen CR-V had the remote receiver built in, straight from the factory. All you needed to do was purchase the remotes and program them to the car, using a combination of remote button presses and some trickery with the ignition key.

First gen CR-Vs did not use an immobilizer key.

However, if the first gen CR-V ever had a Honda alarm system installed in it, those came with a different set of remotes that were not the same as the standard remotes. If the Honda alarm were installed correctly, there should be a red LED on top of the steering column (which will blink when armed), and a black bypass button down on the dash somewhere.

The exploded parts diagram at any Honda parts site will have the Honda part number for the standard remotes. But if you need the Honda part number for the remote with the Honda alarm system, you need to find the accessory installation instructions for the Honda alarm and get that part number from the list on that sheet. That is what I needed to do, to replace my one missing remote.

·
Registered
571 Posts
it would be a lot cheaper if you go after market. for the price of 2 fobs you can get a alarm installed and the range is a a big difference too

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
The range on the stock CR-V remotes is not the best. But I replaced the remote for our Civic, and actually ended up with two spares. One was $18-ish, the other around $20. There are dealers on eBay for used remotes, and I bet one for the CR-V could be had quite affordably. I can't recall what I paid for my spare for the '97, but it wasn't much more than $20. Maybe $25 at the most. And it is the rarer remote for the Honda alarm.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have a similar situation in my '98, it didn't come with a remote to open the doors and there is a red light on the dash just above the dimming switch which I am told is an aftermarket alarm. What I've been reading is the after market remote fobs can also set these alarms off and they can't be turned off unless the battery is disconnected so be careful and do some investigating into what you have before trying anything. When I get the funds I'm taking mine to a reputable local car alarm business and let them find out what is installed then go from there.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Definitely check that out. I remember that with the Honda alarm, you had to remove the left kick panel under the dash (next to the dead pedal) to mount the alarm box behind it. The entire system plugged into harnesses already installed in the CR-V which, when new, were taped off with blue vinyl tape so they were easy to find. I did have to remove a few dash panels to get to those harnesses, though. There were optional accessories for the alarm--a pin switch for the hood, and a siren. But, I never purchased either one.

I would imagine an aftermarket alarm has wire taps installed on existing wires.

If there is any luck that you have a genuine Honda alarm (where someone installed the LED in the wrong place), then you would just need to source the remotes. Aftermarket? I'd be tempted to rip it out and just restore the stock wiring, then get the standard CR-V remotes used on eBay and program them.

Just for reference:

https://estore.honda.com/honda/accessories/installation-instructions/list.asp?year=1997&model=CR-V&modelName=CR-V

Look for the Security System package on this page. This is for 1997 but should apply to all first-gen CR-Vs. The accessories installation instructions cover the hood switch and siren installation.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
9,245 Posts
Just for Historical Perspective, "Central Locking" is a primitive ;) control system that allows the user to lock all doors using a key in the driver's door lock. (When the drivers door locks, electric actuators lock ALL the doors) It usually includes a Lock switch on the inside front doors, too.

It does NOT have the ability to lock with a remote fob, however.

I had two 1980s cars that had Remote Locking. On one of them, I later retrofitted a wireless remote control.

Signed,

Your Automotive Historian

https://www.privatefleet.com.au/glossary/what-is-central-locking/

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
I had a feeling it might be something like that--I think my old 1985 car may have had that, although it may have been just for unlocking...maybe both? It's been so long, heck if I can remember.

I had to go check my '97. It does have central locking from the driver's door. Unlocking, no, and locking alone does not arm the security system. Still have to do that via the remote.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts