Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I own a 1998 Honda Honda CRV. My dad and I were working on the car today and when we got under the hood we found this. We're not sure when exactly this happened as we've only had this car for 1 year and this is the first time we ever went this far into the car to work on something. As you can see, it seems like the plastic has been warped due to heat and is now resting on the gears rather than being outside/straight like the rest of the cover is. When I run my car there aren't any loud noises really coming from the engine so I guess this is how we never caught this before. Any ideas on how to get the cover back into place so it doesn't mess with the gears/ timing belt potentially?

Thanks!
-SP

photo (3).jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
91 Posts
Unfortunately that's really common on the b-series engines. You have 4 options: Leave it alone (I personally would not), remove the cover completely (requires removing timing belt), cut away the portion that's rubbing the gears (what most people do), or replace it with a new oem piece (again would require removing t-belt plus it'll warp later on).

I'd suggest cutting away what's rubbing. Don't forget the other side of the cover on the intake cam, it's most likely rubbing also!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts