Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Honda CRV 2wd
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1998 crv. It intermittently dies. We have had the recall on the ignition switch done, changed the distributor,also has a new fuel pump and it still dies. Any recommendations on where to look next?

·
Super Moderator
2007 Accord EX 2020 CR-V Hybrid EX
4,251 Posts
I have a 1998 crv. It intermittently dies. We have had the recall on the ignition switch done, changed the distributor,also has a new fuel pump and it still dies. Any recommendations on where to look next?
Generally if a running engine stops, but can still be started (no rods coming out of the block) it's fuel or ignition.
You didn't mention any codes.
Do you know anyone with a scanner that can read live data? That might tell you something.

·
Registered
1998 Honda CRV 2wd
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The only code is an oxygen sensor but when we bought it it didn't have the catalytic converter. It's just a straight pipe. I have the new catalytic converter but have to have a piece welded on to attach it. That's the only code.

·
Registered
1999 CRV Lx
724 Posts
If it randomly cuts off there is a chance the main relay has a ground problem, but you can either try to fix it or just buy a new one.
At the thermostat housing there is a multi ground connection. Like 3 or 4 wires hooked to the same place. One is for MR , ecu and other stuff. Clean them up.
Make sure you have a solid and clean ground from valve cover to chassis. It's that thick brown cable that goes to valve cover and driver's side upper bar.

Pull it hard(but not too hard that it breaks away) and make sure its clean and strong.

I've seen it look good but loose at the cable terminal end. If it's bad it will burn up your ignition module which by now could also be the problem.
Even with a new distributor, if the ground cable is bad it will kill the ign. Module regardless if it's new or not.

Gl

1 - 5 of 5 Posts