Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

So I am embarking on a little r&r project on my 98 V. Got it as a second car and its got 148k on the clock so I decided that I mine as well do some fixing up and keep her as a family car for hopefully 100k + miles. I bought it with a leaking gas tank and being a NE Ohio car you can imagine plenty of rust came with it at purchase price... anyways so I am finally diving in on replacing the gas tank, filler neck, straps etc etc, rear wheel bearings, shocks, and rear brake lines. All is going well, ground down all the loose rust and POR-15'd the Sh!T out of it back there. Anyways I'll throw some pics and the full plan on what I want to do up later on... lots in store for it, have a garage full of parts.

So the issue,

The filler neck pretty much fell out from being so rusted (expected) also most of the vent lines were rusted away and probably the cause of my emissions (dont have code off top of my head) CEL. The problem I am running into is finding a good diagram where I can replace all these lines to their rightful factory position or at least a solution that properly vents things and will hopefully eliminate the CEL. Basically I know there is the line that runs from filler neck to tank, then there is a line that runs off the control module (?? black box mounted to side of tank) up to the a fitting that vents it up in the frame. Now here is where it gets interesting. I know there needs to be a vent line running up to the front of the car correct? Looks as if this line has completely rusted away and basically is not running to and from anywhere, both ends are gone, I just have a line that runs (orientation: laying under car looking up at gas tank, feet toward engine) along the brake lines and up to the pass. side back toward the tank. Need some pics of this on a car that has the line in tact.

Going back to the black box mounted to the drivers rear of the tank, 2 med size lines (vacuum I assume) run out of the box into hard lines. Both these are gone also. No diagram I am finding seems to disclose the routing of these. I have pics on my phone I will have to email myself and load up but this is the last hurdle to jump through before I can wrap this work up on the back half of the car. This and removing the fuel filler neck bolts which are rounded and rusted to the underside... drill tap and die here we come...

All in all, sorry for the long post and lack of pics, I come from VW/Audi forums where there typically are plenty of helpful individuals out there. I am crossing my fingers someone has original fuel vent lines in decent shape they can post some pics up of. Can provide personal email if that works better. Anxious to wrap the rest of this project up and do some fun DIY stuff to the car and post some write ups later on, seems there is not much out there for these Gen1's. Also will try to go back and throw some photos up to help with describing these mystery lines.

Thanks all and happy 4th,
Mike

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Fuel Tank Vent Lines and Module.jpg

So just the line that runs down to the 90 degree fitting on the front of the black box needs routed, didnt check my pics before posting and realized one of the 2 runs right up into the tank.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
My 2000 has 3 lines running to the engine bay. One if the main fuel line, one is the return line and one is the evap line. I replaced the evap and return lines with rubber fuel line as well as running new brake lines to the rear. The larger main fuel line is still original.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good stuff, I should probably run a rubber line, that would be the smart thing to do. So that line runs off the hose connected black module box thingy (sorry for no technical term) on the side of the tank, up under the car, up to the evap canister/box up behind the intake manifold on the drivers side? Makes total sense. I feel like I might have ran across a 4th line or possibly an original brake line that whoever replaced the rear lines before failed to remove... (I think that is the case) which would make sense and explain why it threw me for such a loop. Literally runs from just a foot before the tank with the brake and fuel lines (that side was rusted away) up into the tank crevice and off to the passenger side and then ends...

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
I am not sure if anything changed between 98 and 2000. I know mine was 5 lines total under a black plastic cover (2 brake, 1 large fuel, 1 return fuel and one evap).The evap line runs up front to that canister and the return line runs up front to the fuel rail on the engine.

I have never done it myself, but the rear seats are suppose to come apart fairly easily and there is suppose to be an access panel over the fuel pump. That might make it easier for you to get things back together.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Only the drivers left seat has to come out, pretty easy to do. then theres a silver cover with 3 screws and youre in! And 5 lines total helps a bunch. My black cover is long gone from POs but some good rust proofing paint will take care of that no problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I found that already and thats what Honda sent when I called them. Not much help unfortunately. I think the issue is sorted out though. Thanks anyways!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts