Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey CRV owners,
I'm new to the club. I just purchased a 1998 Honda crv 5 speed stick shift for my first car. I wanted to stop here and see if any of you guys had ideas for modifications to do to my car. Ill leave some pictures of it. A little backstory of things first. The top of the engine is rebuilt. New timing chain, valves, it also has a resurfaced head and head gasket. I also recently preformed a full tune up on the car including plugs, wires, a new distributer cap and rotor and an oil change and lastly I detailed the car. So anyways that about it for what I have done. Anyways, Id like to make some small changes to the car to improve it.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
The B20 engine in your CR-V has a timing belt, not a timing chain. It has to be changed every 100,000 miles.

I would also change the fuel filter. I believe it's in the engine compartment on the firewall to the right of the battery as you're standing in front of the vehicle and facing the engine.

I would also considering having the windows tinted. It makes a huge difference in the temperature inside the car, which means the A/C doesn't have to work as hard.

I see that the "H" symbols in the center of your wheels are pretty faded. The center caps are plastic, so check them for wear and fading. If you think they look "ugly" you can buy new ones, but they're about US $40 for each cap.

I had a 1999 Milano Red CR-V that the "H" symbols were really bad. I bought a new "H" and then used it as a template to cut out a set of H's from red reflective tape.

Do you have the maintenance records? When was the last time the brake fluid was changed? Did they also change the fluid in the clutch system at the same time? There's a clutch master cylinder that's activated by the clutch pedal with it's own fluid reservoir, and tubes that run to the clutch slave cylinder on the transmission. The clutch system also uses brake fluid, so it needs to be changed every 3 years, just like the brake fluid.

Welcome, and it's nice to see such a nice looking 1st Gen CR-V!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The B20 engine in your CR-V has a timing belt, not a timing chain. It has to be changed every 100,000 miles.

I would also change the fuel filter. I believe it's in the engine compartment on the firewall to the right of the battery as you're standing in front of the vehicle and facing the engine.

I would also considering having the windows tinted. It makes a huge difference in the temperature inside the car, which means the A/C doesn't have to work as hard.

I see that the "H" symbols in the center of your wheels are pretty faded. The center caps are plastic, so check them for wear and fading. If you think they look "ugly" you can buy new ones, but they're about US $40 for each cap.

I had a 1999 Milano Red CR-V that the "H" symbols were really bad. I bought a new "H" and then used it as a template to cut out a set of H's from red reflective tape.

Do you have the maintenance records? When was the last time the brake fluid was changed? Did they also change the fluid in the clutch system at the same time? There's a clutch master cylinder that's activated by the clutch pedal with it's own fluid reservoir, and tubes that run to the clutch slave cylinder on the transmission. The clutch system also uses brake fluid, so it needs to be changed every 3 years, just like the brake fluid.

Welcome, and it's nice to see such a nice looking 1st Gen CR-V!
Thanks man! Ill keep an eye out for everything. As far as I know the timining belt was replaced and then the car sat. Believe it or not this car used to be a shop car for my technical school. I have heard of the 1rst gens having some intresting problems. The nice part is since it was a shop car all of those problems were fixed before i got the car. Ill keep the window tint in mind for sure. I think that may be my next thing.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Nice Gem you got there! Welcome to the forum! Don't forget to also change all of the fluid. The transmission fluid is different it's a non Extreme Pressure oil. Not Gear Oil. Also don't forget the steering fluid, Rear differential fluid. Honda Used Dual Pump fluid for the rear diff.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice Gem you got there! Welcome to the forum! Don't forget to also change all of the fluid. The transmission fluid is different it's a non Extreme Pressure oil. Not Gear Oil. Also don't forget the steering fluid, Rear differential fluid. Honda Used Dual Pump fluid for the rear diff.
Awesome tips. Ill check all the fluids tommorrow how long does the fluid for the pumpkin in the rear usually last?

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Not sure on how long they last. Did your V come with an Owner's manual? If you also need a repair manual. I can point you where to get it.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Not sure if the process is in the owner's manual. I think it should be. That's great you have an online resource. Or you can check Youtube. Be sure you only use Dual Pump fluid on the rear diff.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Not sure on how long they last. Did your V come with an Owner's manual? If you also need a repair manual. I can point you where to get it.
Hello, new 98 owner here with out an owner's manual and open to any insight. I downloaded the maintenance schedule for a start, I will do an official introduction with pics soon. thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
No, not at the moment. I got it from a lien sale/auction. Looks like a tree fell on it.
1998 2WD auto, 136K miles, pretty clean interior, honda battery and filters so looks well cared for, probably at a dealer. Fixing fender, windshield and small roof dent, then smog, brake and lamp, and register.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
It's rare to find a 2WD auto in this model or generation. When changing the trans fluid be careful not to use any fluid as you'll get shifting issues. If you need a repair manual I can point where you can get it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
OK, could you clarify on that trans fluid comment?
Yes, I am looking for an owner's manual/service manual.
I did pick up a Haynes book already.
I was not aware that this was a rare combination of drive train on this vehicle.
Previous Hondas were 92 Accord auto and 84 Prelude 5 speed dual carb set up.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Honda.com should have an owner's manual online for no charge. Hayne's book is very helpful. Usually these Gen have 4wd not 2wd. Honda uses low viscosity in their Auto trans if you use regular ATF the transmission will shift hard & you'll think that it has problem. If you don't like to use OEM ATF you can go with Valvoline Maxlife as many members here has good success with them. Be sure you use Full Synthetic.

·
Registered
7 Posts
yes, "not just any fluid"

We have a 2004 Saturn Vue that has the Honda V6 and auto tranny and have used what I believe is a Valvoline synthetic approved for Honda and it has worked well.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts