Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

For years I've been searching for a first gen crv that was manual, all wheel, and preferably green. Last week I found one at a great price. I plan to do a full restoration on it. I love this car.

Here is a link to an album that shows the rust spots.

I'm not too worried about the one on the rear driver side near the gas cap. Both of the rear wheel wells have rust spots in the same place, as shown in the link. In doing research it seems that this is a common place where rust forms on these cars. The rust that I believe will be most difficult s the rust on the bottom of the car. It is in the same place on both sides, bottom rear of car just in from of the rear tires.

Can any anyone give me insight into what they did specifically to ameliorate rust on their car? I do know that fixing rust problems generally seems to be a losing battle with folks. Fortunately I do not live in a state with snow, so no salt to worry about. Also I am doing this for a restoration so I am not expecting to get a return on any money or resources I spend fixing this. I would like to begin fixing this car as soon as I can in order to avoid any growing problems.

I also have a few friends who are engineers and would love to help teach me to weld. I lack a good deal of experience but I'm a quick study.

Thanks for reading
Adam

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Compared to my '97, yours is nearly rust-free! I'm having to give up on a 2002 Accord that has subframe rust that requires major surgery to repair, and I just don't have the time or the room to replace it (and would have to locate a salvage part from the southern states that isn't rusted).

Those rear tubular supports (in your fourth photo) are rusting through and should be replaced--I'm pretty sure you can still order new ones from Honda, and they shouldn't cost much.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I also had to give up on my 97, not quite to 200k miles, the engine and drive train was great the body just fell apart. The rust on the rear quarters were almost to the point of falling off and the fuel filler tube was also rusting out. It was a great car, simple to repair and inexpensive to run.

·
Registered
123 Posts
AFAIK, the only way to get rid of rust like that are to sand or sand blast the area until there's none left before filling and painting the repair area, or else to remove and replace the damaged parts entirely.

On the bright side, yours is an EX model, if you don't know. That means it had Honda's factory keyless entry system, so if a previous owner lost the remote, you can just get a new one from Honda. You also have the rear seats that fold flat, so the front seats can be combined with the rear seats to make a bed-like 'large cushioned area' as the owner's manual puts it. The CR-V EX also had ABS. It worked rather well, and bleeding the CR-V's ABS is exactly the same as bleeding a non-ABS cars, so there's no added maintenance.

Cheers!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts