Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

First post here! So our 98 CR-V suddenly developed an extreme hesitation problem. I went for a drive in the rain, and the next day, when I went to press the gas, the car wouldn't go. It hesitates and has almost no power. It will creep forward until the RPM's hit 2 or 3k, then it's revs and accelerates like normal, until the next stop. I haven't had a lot of time recently, so I haven't been able to poke under the hood for a vacuum leak. The puzzling thing is no CEL, and when it's parked in neutral, I can rev the engine just fine. It only has the hesitation when it's in drive. To get up hills I have to hold it in first, and get a running start. I know it's about due for the valve adjustment, but that wouldn't produce this extreme hesitation? Thanks for your replies.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
forgot to add, no sputtering, engine just won't go. Idle rpms seem a little low, like down around 250. Car never dies though.

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
Good chance that the timing belt slipped a tooth or two. It can be checked by a mechanic without too much time involved.
Have you ever changed the fuel filter? Pretty cheap and easy to do.
I'm sure others will comment with more possibilities.
Have you owned it long? Any more info could help.
Buffalo4

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep, you were right Buffalo4. I had my friend who's a more experienced mechanic use his timing light. He said he thought it was out of timing, so I tore it down and sure enough, it's two teeth off. It's mom's car, so she ordered OEM belt, tensioner, and water pump.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Now that's what you call results!!!!!!!!!! Buffalo, you were right on the money again. BTW KonThrawn, welcome to the forum. While your in there, check the end motor mount(could be broken) and an excellent time to check the belts for wear, JMHO and again, welcome aboard.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts