Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1998 AWD manual trans CRV, 137k miles, fuel filter, PCV, main relay, plugs and plug wires have about 4k miles on them. I bought it with 132k miles on it, oil is changed every 3k miles, replaced all the items mentioned. Last owner said the timing belt and water pump were replaced, timing belt looks to be in good shape but I'm not 100% sure on when or if it was changed or not. I have been driving it daily for probably 5mos now and have been getting 27-29mpg's in warm weather and about 24mpgs in cold weather. Currently has the stock distributor on it, I have never changed the coil pack or igniter. I bought a entire new/complete distributor but its not a Honda brand and stopped working within 100 miles. There ended up being no spark so I think the igniter might have shot craps.. when that happened I just put the stock distributor back in and it has ran fine since then. SOOOO Last night I'm driving along going to my GF's house and all of the sudden I feel a loss of power and notice the RPMs to be at 500 rpms or less at idle, the CRV barely has enough power from a dead stop to get a slight hill, once it gets to a higher rpm (above 3k or so) it seems to run fine but will buck and jump around. It does NOT die at idle, there is a pretty long delay/reaction from the motor when the gas pedal is pressed. I drove it home last night and pulled all the plugs out, they look fine, did a compression test this morning and from the timing belt side of the motor it read 150, 100, 150, 150, put a new cap and rotor in this morning and it still did the same thing/ no change. I started reading around online and have come across problems with the bad valves in these which might be causing this but I would think 100psi being the lowest it should still run decent and NOT do what its doing?? It has NOT overheated, it was a real bitch to start this morning and didn't want to start and run very well, but it finally did just with a low idle for a bit, then started idling high because of the 33 degree temps. I am going to unplug the fuel injectors 1 by one to see if there is any change in how it idles to see if an injector is bad to rule out a fuel problem. I kind of think its a sensor or something else stupid/small. I don't hear any vacuum leaks but I will probably start spraying some hoses with carb cleaner or brake cleaner to check for a vacuum lead to also rule that out.. Anyone else ever had this problem and if so what fixed it? Any other ideas on what it could be?? Also there is no check engine light flashing/on. Exhaust smells a little rich like fuel isn't being burned 100% so maybe the igniter or the coil in the stock distributor is on the way out? I wouldn't think that either of those would just halfway work and would be more of a it either works or doesn't work type of thing but I could be wrong. Any suggestions??

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Why did you replace the distributor earlier? Were the problems the same or different?

It really sounds like it might be one or more of a couple of things.

A weak ignition coil.
Note: If you ever used the starter to turn the engine over with any of the spark plug wires disconnected and not grounded, or with the dist cap off, the ignition coil could have shorted itself, if you didn't pull the proper fuse or disconnect the low voltage connector that feeds the dist.
http://easyautodiagnostics.com/honda/2.2L-2.3L/honda-ignition-system-tests-1

Timing belt skipped a tooth or two.
Valve lash adjustment.

Do another compression test on that weaker cylinder and see it the compression goes way up when you add a little oil into the cylinder.

If it does, it indicates sticky or worn piston rings.
If it doesn't, it indicates a valve sealing problem.

Bufffalo4

1 - 5 of 5 Posts