Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently fixed a rear wheel cylinder but the brakes are mushy as air was introduced. On that rear cylinder, the bleeder valve was rusted and broken off. Is there still a way to bleed the brake system? Not sure if I can remove the remnants of that wheel cylinder's bleeder valve & replace with a new bleeder or if a new cylinder is needed. Is there a video, diagram, and/or other post here in CRV Owners Club that can guide me into bleeding the brake system? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Have you tried to bleed it from the hydraulic pipe on the wheel cylinder? If it's seized heat it up with a blow torch 1st to prevent it from breaking.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The pipe entering the cylinder, yes that is rusted & seized. I will use a torch, but it enters the bottom of the cylinder. Can that at the cylinder's bottom bleed the brakes if air is at its top? Use flare or open-end wrench?

Have you tried to bleed it from the hydraulic pipe on the wheel cylinder? If it's seized heat it up with a blow torch 1st to prevent it from breaking.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
sorry for the very late reply. Just got a new Desktop old one just died. It'll be tough to remove the air if the air is on the top. But try it , it could work. Always use Flare wrench on brake lines.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
You can purchase brake cylinder in Advanced Auto Parts for $23.99 or so.
Agreed--at that age, I would be replacing both rear cylinders just due to age, for safety reasons. They're cheap.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts